• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What Do I DO?

So I went to the doctor yesterday for a yeast infection and a painful cut near my vaginal area from having sex with a yeast infection. I do indeed have a yeast infection, however, the doctor told  me she thinks I might have herpes and sent me to get a blood test. I was so shocked and didn't stop crying for 2 hours. I got the blood test but I don't find out the results for TWO WEEKS. I'm just in limbo until then. I don't know what to do. I also don't know who gave this to me. I have had 4 sexual partners in the last 2 months (I know, I suck). All of them said they were "clean." I was stupid to trust that. However, now I don't know who gave it to me. How do I bring this up to them? I wasn't exclusive with any of them so they (I hope) won't slut shame me but also clearly one of them has this and doesn't know....or they do know and are just an asshole. Please, I need advice on how to handle this. 

4 minutes ago, verysadgirl said:

So I went to the doctor yesterday for a yeast infection and a painful cut near my vaginal area from having sex with a yeast infection. I do indeed have a yeast infection, however, the doctor told  me she thinks I might have herpes and sent me to get a blood test. I was so shocked and didn't stop crying for 2 hours. I got the blood test but I don't find out the results for TWO WEEKS. I'm just in limbo until then. I don't know what to do. I also don't know who gave this to me. I have had 4 sexual partners in the last 2 months (I know, I suck). All of them said they were "clean." I was stupid to trust that. However, now I don't know who gave it to me. How do I bring this up to them? I wasn't exclusive with any of them so they (I hope) won't slut shame me but also clearly one of them has this and doesn't know....or they do know and are just an asshole. Please, I need advice on how to handle this. 

First of all, you don't "suck" because you slept with four people over two months! You can get this from having sex with one person once. Don't beat yourself up here; believe when I say it won't help. It is true that you will need to tell these guys, and hopefully they won't be assholes about it. But if they are, that doesn't say anything about you. It means they are scared and probably immature. 

Regarding people saying they are "clean", the truth is, a lot of people get STI tests and don't realize that the most common STIs like herpes and HPV are not included. So it isn't something you can really go by. 

Look, if the diagnosis comes back positive, it's going to be a bit of a whirlwind for you. Like, it's hard and scary and confusing. But believe when I say that it gets better and that you will still be able to find love, get married, and have kids (if that's what you want). Millions of people with herpes do it, and so can you. You will also have a community of people here that you can talk to and that can help you through this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The blood test may be inaccurate if you were just recently infected. Its best to get a swab (even without a lesion but with symptoms since the virus should be shedding, at least I believe this is so)

Also, in terms of telling the partners... You can simply state "I had one other partner other than you this month but recently got tested for herpes and....." You don't have to tell each one of them that you slept with 4 people if you are worried about being shamed.

1 hour ago, herpnerve said:

The blood test may be inaccurate if you were just recently infected. Its best to get a swab (even without a lesion but with symptoms since the virus should be shedding, at least I believe this is so)

Also, in terms of telling the partners... You can simply state "I had one other partner other than you this month but recently got tested for herpes and....." You don't have to tell each one of them that you slept with 4 people if you are worried about being shamed.

I thought that too after doing some research. It’s strange because she did swab me but only found a yeast infection or maybe didn’t test the swab for HSV? I’m not sure but I would think that she would have run that test. I haven’t noticed any symptoms at all except for symptoms of a yeast infection, which I do have.