• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone else diagnosed late in life?

I am 63 years old and just diagnosed with Herpes--both 1 and 2 via a blood test.  My GYN tested me after examining me for a very long term (about 6 week) intractable genital and thigh and pubic area rash and intense itching.  I have had vaginal area itching before in my life---what woman on the face of the earth hasn't?!-- but never something this intense that didn't either go away with the use of over the counter topicals like Vagisil or cortisone, or cleared after visit to the gyn tested positive for yeast infection or some other type of vaginal infection treated with an antifungal.    My nurse practitioner I saw last year told me my culture also tested for herpes, but was not present.  I have never had any blisters or sores--not even a fever blister ever in my life and no visit to the gyn for a problem has ever even suggested presence of herpes.  I have been with my husband for 16 years.  The last time I have had sex before him was almost 20 years ago.  My husband and I haven't even had sex of any kind for about 7-9 months and I have absolutely no reason to suspect or believe that he cheated on me ever.  So, my question is---how is this possible?  I understand herpes can lie dormant for years, but DECADES??? My current gyn doc suggested that I probably did have outbreaks before but did not recognize it as herpes and identified it as something else.  She also said cultures don't always pick up herpes, which is why when she saw what clearly looked like herpes to her, she ordered the blood test.   Reading about herpes on line informs me that the first outbreak (which generally occurs several to 20 days after exposure) is generally the worst and all subsequent outbreaks will likely be more minor, due to build up of immune response.  But this recent outbreak was definitely by far the worst and most serious of any such symptoms I have ever had.  This all seems so backwards.  

Has anyone else had a similar experience or can anyone help me understand this better?  My one relief is that I am as old as I am and in a long term and solid marriage (my husband took the news very nonchalantly and lightly) and so I do not have to worry about the perils of dating and having to tackle this issue with others.  I just can't understand how this can pop up so long after my sexually active period of life.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I was diagnosed with HSV2 by culture in my late 40s. You likely have had it for years, and your immune system was strong enough to keep you symptom free. As we age, our immune systems weaken, and the herpes virus is nothing if not opportunistic. A good example would be shingles, which is herpes zoster, and which is a reactivation of a childhood chicken pox infection (herpes zoster). Your husband may very well have it too but remains symptom free. My long term partner does not get outbreaks, and I do. It really just boils down to a person's immune system. Triggers may be life-style related, so managing stress and getting enough sleep etc. usually helps. Diet may also help some people. Hormones (or in our case lack thereof) also factor in for women.

I was just diagnosed last week after having an awful outbreak for the first time ever.  I’m 43 years old and have been married to the same man for 21 years (together for 25 years).  We have a very solid, committed relationship also.  Like yours, mine also too the news very well.  What baffles me is that according to my blood test, my IgG level showed that I had just contracted it.  My husband is going to be going in for bloodwork to see if he’s a carrier and maybe just gave it to me.  I am his only sexual partner ever so I’m not sure how he would be a carrier?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Just diagnosed with hsv2 by culture at 41 after my first noticable outbreak which consisted of a single blister, some minor swelling and a day of prodome leg pain. I’ve been with my husband for 7 years. He got the igg blood test and tested positive for hsv1 (which was news to us) so I must have picked up my hsv2 before him. I’m still trying to wrap my head around why this just popped up now.

Thanks Sarahsfocus. I really appreciate your input! I made a post in the just diagnosed forum hoping to hear from some of those folks. I’ve read that it’s possible for H to stay hidden for years - but I’ve also read that usually the initial OB occurs shortly after infection and is the worst; your antibodies will squash it down after a few years. These 2 points seem contradictory so it’s confusing. 

I empathize completely!!! After being in a monogamous relationship for almost 7 years, I was confident my days of worrying about STDs were over. I honestly thought I knicked myself shaving and had a cut that got infected, so I went to urgent care and got antibiotics. Shock of my life when they called the next week and told me my sample tested positive for  hsv2 😳

• Like 1

Kbh0929, wow 25 years! This virus is crazy. I’ve read that it tends to rear it’s head in people who’ve been living in dormancy a little later in life. I’m 41. I’d love to see stats regarding how many people in long term monogamous relationships or are celibate have their first OB in their 40s or 50s.