• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ghsv1 transmission female to male

I was just wondering if there’s any males who have gotten ghsv1 from a woman, I read somewhere that it’s harder for a woman to transmit it to a man. And what are the percentages and rates from female to male and is there any proof to those. Is it okay if I’m on Valtrex and a healthy diet and I have condom less sex while on Valtrex? 

Greetings! I am a male who is anxiously awaiting to find out whether or not I have been infected with HSV2. I had unprotected sex with a female that did not know that she was infected with HSV2. Thus, they were not on any antiviral medications at the time.

I have spent countless hours reading online documentation about the transmission of HSV2. According to one study, I saw the rate of transmission was approximately 4-5% per year for an infected female to transmit HSV1/2 to a male partner. I will not link any of the websites here, as I am not sure if it violates the policy of the forum, but if you do a google search of "chances of transmitting herpes", you will find the results of quite a few studies.

A few things to note however, is the fact that the herpes virus can be active without any symptoms present. When symptoms are present or when the virus is "shedding" (no symptoms present but virus is currently active) is when the virus is most contagious. A person "sheds" the most during their first year of infection, however the percentage here varies. One study I read suggested it was about 10% of the time, with another saying it was as high as 20% of the time.

From what I have read (mind you I'm no expert but have unfortunately spent most of my recent life reading about herpes), considering that you are on anti-viral medication, the chances of transmitting herpes is low. Given that you avoid sexual activity when symptoms are present.

Again all my information is gathered from various sites throughout google, but hopefully it helps your search.

• 4 weeks later...

I got it from a man who got it from a woman. So it’s definitely possible. Condomless sex is a huge risk for your non infected partner. If you’re both aware of the risks and decide for it anyway then no harm done. my gifter has had one single bump outbreak none of the nerve pain or fever or anything so he doesn’t see it as a huge deal health wise. Although he is nervous about giving it to someone else and being careful. We both got it within a few weeks of each other. He had no clue he had it until I told him I did. Basically I’m saying hsv1 for men in general is almost non existent. If your partner is educated on everything and knows the risk. He may not even care too much.