• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Should I seek a blood test?

After having sex the other week I started having STI symptoms including red spots and rashes and white heads on my penis. There wasn’t really any pain but it was a little uncomfortable. I then spotted a wart too. I’ve been to the clinic today and the nurse said I have warts and froze them but she couldn’t comment on the other symptoms because the white heads had popped and already began healing. 

Herpes wasn’t mentioned but I worry that these could have been a symptom. I’m aware it takes longer to show up once exposed but maybe I already carried it and the sex triggered an outbreak? I had what I thought was herpes in summer too but the doctor diagnosed it as Molluscum.

The NHS doesn’t provide a blood test free of charge so the only way of knowing would be to take one privately but even then I wouldn’t be able to tell if it was oral or genital herpes. So is it worth me taking one anyway? My fear is that if I disclose to a girl that I previously had warts, she understood but then caught herpes from me as well then I would feel terrible. 

The thought of having two incurable STIs scares me but what scares me even more is the thought of passing them on to someone. 

Normally I would say listen to experts and only get a swab test. But if your already diagnosed with a life long condition you may as well go for a full panel check and pay for blood test. Sorry this happened to you. Make sure you take care of you whatever the result I’d suggest medication and counselling it worked for me good luck 

@Jenn88 @sarahsfocus

You’re both right it’s good to know your status despite there being so many people walking around oblivious to the fact they carry the virus giving it to people like me.

@Uklad

I agree that I would just leave it as that but knowing I already have HPV which will affect future relationships I may as well find out if I carry HSV as well. It’s come at a difficult time, final year of studies and just finding out the girl I like actually likes me back but being unable to do anything because of my diagnosis. Therefore I think I’ll need all the help I can get. Thanks for the kind words.

@Jenn88

Which strain of HPV do you have? There are multiple and only a few cause genital warts

@sarahsfocus

They don’t do a HPV blood test, just a smear test for females but this is to detect the high risk HPV which can cause cancer. 

Bit of a tricky one because I don’t know whether to disclose in years to come like “I had a genital wart 5 years ago” when the virus is most likely gone and most people carry it anyway. But if I have herpes too disclosing both will be very difficult :( 

On 11/19/2018 at 3:29 AM, newtothis22 said:

After having sex the other week I started having STI symptoms including red spots and rashes and white heads on my penis. There wasn’t really any pain but it was a little uncomfortable. I then spotted a wart too. I’ve been to the clinic today and the nurse said I have warts and froze them but she couldn’t comment on the other symptoms because the white heads had popped and already began healing. 

Herpes wasn’t mentioned but I worry that these could have been a symptom. I’m aware it takes longer to show up once exposed but maybe I already carried it and the sex triggered an outbreak? I had what I thought was herpes in summer too but the doctor diagnosed it as Molluscum.

The NHS doesn’t provide a blood test free of charge so the only way of knowing would be to take one privately but even then I wouldn’t be able to tell if it was oral or genital herpes. So is it worth me taking one anyway? My fear is that if I disclose to a girl that I previously had warts, she understood but then caught herpes from me as well then I would feel terrible. 

The thought of having two incurable STIs scares me but what scares me even more is the thought of passing them on to someone. 

Do you still think you have HSV or have you tested positive for it?