• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Should I just do supressive therapy anyway?

So I haven't been dealing with outbreaks very frequently aside from the initial ones back in June/July. It's November now and just two days ago I started showing again, albeit not very bad at all. And the most I've dealt with regularly is some annoying itching but no sores until two days ago. 

I read that some people get this stuff treated on an episodic basis, or let it pass. Should I just hit up my doctor and ask for meds regardless and possibly start regularly taking them? I also do take meds for bipolar daily and don't know if this will really factor much here but that's what I'll see a doctor for. But you think it's just better even if outbreaks aren't as frequent? 

I may not be the right person to answer this because although I just found out a month and a half ago I have H2, I have had it for at least 10 years and cannot recall any outbreaks in that time, and even with the stress of finding out and disclosing, haven't had any outbreaks since being told I have it.

However, I have no intention of taking suppressive meds. I am not a fan of pharmaceuticals, and do not take them unless absolutely necessary (and if I'm being honest, even a thyroid med that I've been on for almost 15 years is not taken on the regular, and I should take that every day). I am asymptomatic, so aside from disclosure and condom use, I'm not planning on doing anything.

If you're having occasional outbreaks, I would probably go with suppressive meds only when you feel one coming on, but not all the time unless you're having frequent outbreaks.

It may not be a bad idea to get the Rx for just in case, though.

I would say wait and see only because I am someone who is on suppressive therapy for GHSV-1. I have had it for just over two year this past august. For the first year I was on episodic therapy only and it was miserable because I actually have a weakened immune system and my outbreak are triggered easily by illness, stress, or as a women my period. So if nothing else I was having a outbreak once a month. The only reason I didn't get the sores is we were able to stop them by knowing my prodrome warning symptoms and getting the antivirals on time to prevent the sore during the episodes. near the end of the first year we decided to switch to suppressive therapy. 

Don't get me wrong I love being on suppressive therapy, because I have only have 1 actual breakout the whole almost year and half since I have been on it. I can pin point why that outbreak occurred and it was some serious extenuating circumstances.  I also have not had the Prodrome symptoms show up that tell me I am viral shedding, which can happening with or without symptoms. being on suppressive therapy lowers viral shedding. 

The reason I say wait, is you stated you it hasn't really being showing to much besides some annoying itching. You maybe someone who your outbreaks will lessen unlike me or other unlucky individuals. However, if it bothersome you can get on suppressive therapy for a short time then go off of it to see if the virus has calmed down in your body. You could also get on a lower dose then average for suppressive therapy if your HSV ins't as active. These are just a few options. The best choice is to talk to your doctor and see what they think and what your most comfortable with. I shared my story so you could understand someone point of view who is on it. Yes I think its great if needed or wanted, but I personally (just my opinion) think its better to wait a little bit so you can understand the virus and how it is for your body and if it is gonna calm down or not for you personally. Maybe don't wait a year like my doctor wanted me to, I feel that was to long considering how bad mine were but you get the idea. 

I hope this helped or at least made sense!

I think you should just take when you get an OB.
I get 1 OB a year at most so I keep a weeks prescription of antivirals in my cupboard,
so if it comes along I can start taking them straight away.

Obviously if you are in a relationship, you need to discuss the issue with them,
my girlfriend does not want me taking them daily as they can cause side effects but I would if she wanted me too.
Learning to read your body & not having sex when you feel the signs is a good system & so far I have not passed to my GF
in the 6 years + we have been together.

22 hours ago, MissRealist said:

I would say wait and see only because I am someone who is on suppressive therapy for GHSV-1. I have had it for just over two year this past august. For the first year I was on episodic therapy only and it was miserable because I actually have a weakened immune system and my outbreak are triggered easily by illness, stress, or as a women my period. So if nothing else I was having a outbreak once a month. The only reason I didn't get the sores is we were able to stop them by knowing my prodrome warning symptoms and getting the antivirals on time to prevent the sore during the episodes. near the end of the first year we decided to switch to suppressive therapy. 

Don't get me wrong I love being on suppressive therapy, because I have only have 1 actual breakout the whole almost year and half since I have been on it. I can pin point why that outbreak occurred and it was some serious extenuating circumstances.  I also have not had the Prodrome symptoms show up that tell me I am viral shedding, which can happening with or without symptoms. being on suppressive therapy lowers viral shedding. 

The reason I say wait, is you stated you it hasn't really being showing to much besides some annoying itching. You maybe someone who your outbreaks will lessen unlike me or other unlucky individuals. However, if it bothersome you can get on suppressive therapy for a short time then go off of it to see if the virus has calmed down in your body. You could also get on a lower dose then average for suppressive therapy if your HSV ins't as active. These are just a few options. The best choice is to talk to your doctor and see what they think and what your most comfortable with. I shared my story so you could understand someone point of view who is on it. Yes I think its great if needed or wanted, but I personally (just my opinion) think its better to wait a little bit so you can understand the virus and how it is for your body and if it is gonna calm down or not for you personally. Maybe don't wait a year like my doctor wanted me to, I feel that was to long considering how bad mine were but you get the idea. 

I hope this helped or at least made sense!

Thanks. I didn't even know about these prodrome symptoms, and I do occasionally feel pains in my legs around my hip. I thought that could have been something else entirely. Still, it's not that prevalent. But I am talking to someone that I very well might start dating, and so I'm getting extra cautious. She already knows and says it doesn't make a difference to her, but I just wanna be sure. A part of me wants to still just do it because also the anxiety and it's better to be safe than sorry, but I appreciate your input. 

• Like 1