• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Side effects of Acyclovir

I have been taking acyclovir daily for almost a year now to prevent outbreaks and help prevent my partner. I noticed yesterday what looks like a busted blood vessel in my eye, and today the whites of my eyes seem a bit yellow. I read the side effects and this is a sign of something serious with the liver....has anyone else ever experienced this? (Calling my doctor tomorrow btw) And if acyclovir is causing it, what else can I take? I’ve only had two outbreaks in 5 years while NOT on acyclovir, but I want to help protect my partner as much as possible. 

I am following this because I am been on suppression therapy with acyclovir for almost a year and half. I have wondered long term if it would lead to any of the possible more serious side effects but so far I hadn't seen anyone mention them. I don't get any of the side affects from it so far. 

I hope you hear good news from your doctor! 

6 hours ago, MissRealist said:

I am following this because I am been on suppression therapy with acyclovir for almost a year and half. I have wondered long term if it would lead to any of the possible more serious side effects but so far I hadn't seen anyone mention them. I don't get any of the side affects from it so far. 

I hope you hear good news from your doctor! 

@MissRealist I had read many places that it doesn’t cause serious side effects if taking it long term unless you have other serious medical conditions, which I don’t. 

This morning I woke up and I don’t think my eyes look as yellow as I thought they did yesterday and the busted blood vessel (if that’s what it was) is completely gone and it hasn’t even been 48 hours. 

Going to call my doc anyway just for safe measure. I’d rather have blood tests to make sure everything is a-ok than be sorry! Will update this post when I know! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Scared0410 said:

@CleverName what did your doctor say? Did you have to go off Valtrex?

She put me to acyclovir for one month to see if we noticed a difference. I don’t think really works for me. I also don’t like taking pills 2 a day. I am trying out Val. again to see how my body reacts. The first time I had very mild face/lip swelling (like morning face) and then the eye things scared me lol I hope that doesn’t happen again.

6 hours ago, herpnerve said:

I would recommend drinking A LOT of water as I feel like it may subside symptoms. I say this because the liver may be having a difficult time processing the drug and jaundice can potentially set in. That is likely why it says to drink with water on the prescription.

Yeah, I only drink water like with meals and stuff, but I don’t constantly drink it throughout the day like I probably should. I downed a ton of water over the last couple of days and my eyes look normal now. Also think maybe the UTI had something to do with it. 

13 minutes ago, CleverName said:

She put me to acyclovir for one month to see if we noticed a difference. I don’t think really works for me. I also don’t like taking pills 2 a day. I am trying out Val. again to see how my body reacts. The first time I had very mild face/lip swelling (like morning face) and then the eye things scared me lol I hope that doesn’t happen again.

Yeah taking two pills a day is a pain but so much cheaper...only reason I do acyclovir instead of Valtrex. I kept Valtrex on hand in the past for when I did have an outbreak, but only took it twice so I really don’t remember side effects there. Too expensive for me to take daily now for suppression and another level of protection for my partner 😕