• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Foods...

Hi @Jenny00 I have taken a close look at diet since my initial outbreak and have worked closely with a nutritionist specifically on this over the last seven months. Each person’s body will have different trigger for HSV, but a look at diet can really help your body stay in a solid healthy place. You can look up some of my prior posts on food stuffs if you have interest. In meantime, some basics I’ve learned so far:

LOTS of water and good fluids!

daily doses of Vitamin C, a good probiotic, and a lysine supplement can do wonders

good sleep and low stress goes a long way to both keeping the virus at bay AND making sure by day you are making good food choices to keep your body healthy

I’m avoiding peanuts (and limited intake of other nuts), very limited caffeine, limited alcohol, limited sugar and being mindful of gluten intake. I seek out lysine rich fruits and vegetables and limit those that are highest in arginine (i.e. I’ll go for an apple over an orange). Note that I don’t eat meat or dairy which means it’s harder for me to get the lysine intakes in balance with arginine intakes. Your diet may make that easier for you.

Overall, I just look for a healthy balance and stay mindful of the food choices i make and their potential impact. If I have a glass of wine with dinner, I’m going to consider avoiding the sugars of a dessert.

Might help to think of HSV a bit like the skin condition it is— different things might cause skin irritation for you than for me. But if you can strive for good, healthy foods overall, your body will be happy and you are likely to see fewer food-triggered outbreaks.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:51 AM, Sunshine75 said:

Hi @Jenny00 I have taken a close look at diet since my initial outbreak and have worked closely with a nutritionist specifically on this over the last seven months. Each person’s body will have different trigger for HSV, but a look at diet can really help your body stay in a solid healthy place. You can look up some of my prior posts on food stuffs if you have interest. In meantime, some basics I’ve learned so far:

LOTS of water and good fluids!

daily doses of Vitamin C, a good probiotic, and a lysine supplement can do wonders

good sleep and low stress goes a long way to both keeping the virus at bay AND making sure by day you are making good food choices to keep your body healthy

I’m avoiding peanuts (and limited intake of other nuts), very limited caffeine, limited alcohol, limited sugar and being mindful of gluten intake. I seek out lysine rich fruits and vegetables and limit those that are highest in arginine (i.e. I’ll go for an apple over an orange). Note that I don’t eat meat or dairy which means it’s harder for me to get the lysine intakes in balance with arginine intakes. Your diet may make that easier for you.

Overall, I just look for a healthy balance and stay mindful of the food choices i make and their potential impact. If I have a glass of wine with dinner, I’m going to consider avoiding the sugars of a dessert.

Might help to think of HSV a bit like the skin condition it is— different things might cause skin irritation for you than for me. But if you can strive for good, healthy foods overall, your body will be happy and you are likely to see fewer food-triggered outbreaks.

I heard wine could also be a trigger, what kind do u drink? I used to enjoy drinking a beer hear and there but I noticed if I’m not on suppressive therapy it causes a outbreak it’s minimal but still annoying.

@Michgirl73 I have never been much of a beer drinker, but I’ve tried one here and there post H. No issues. Have also included a glass or two of red or white wine without issue, but it’s a sometimes thing so balanced with watch other potential food triggers... I.e. if I am going out and think I’ll want a glass of wine or two, I’ll be thoughtful to not overdue sugars, nuts, gluten, etc... with the meal (or during the day if I can). And I won’t have more than two glasses and not more than twice a week. I think I’m still in a fairly cautious stage not wanting to bring on OBs. I also try to drink lots of water.

Maybe a year from now I’ll be less cautious, but I’d love to find a path toward few-no outbreaks. At current moment in first year, that means putting self care first and being mindful of everything that goes into my body, my sleep, stress levels, etc...

• Like 1
On 12/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, Alisonbr said:

Why do you avoid nuts ? I actually try to eat nuts due to prior health stuff. Should I stop ?

@Alisonbr nuts are really high in arginine and so I limit the intake. I’ve heard peanuts are often a trigger for outbreaks and in general they can cause inflammation anyway, so I just avoid them. But if you haven’t had issues with nuts, then they likely aren’t an issue for you.