• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

So many questions, so confused

Hi everyone, 

found out roughly two months ago I was positive for HSV2..I’m only 22. I’ve so many questions but I don’t know where to go to ask them. 

My case was awful. I went to hospital complaining of blisters and doctors said it was an allergic reaction. Told me it would pass. 5 days later I was in so much pain, nothing was helping. Went back to a different doctor. Again said it was just a reaction gave me a steroid cream and some tablets. Another week passed and I couldn’t stand, I couldn’t lay down, I couldn’t sit or walk or anything. I hadn’t slept and I was constantly crying. So 3 weeks after my first doctor interaction I went straight to A&E and cried with pain. I was then hospitalized for 5 days as I was retaining so much fluids, my case had gotten so severe, the cream I was given had made it a lot worse and I shouldn’t have been using it, the tablets I was given shouldn’t have been mixed together. I’ve been left with scars mentally and physically. 

Within the two months since, I’m currently going through my second breakout. What do I do? Is there medications to stop the breakouts? Is there certain things that cause the breakouts?

What am I now unable to do? 

Can I go to a public swimming pool? 

Can I use sunbeds? 

Can I share a bath with someone?

is there certain body washes I need to stay away from?

the list goes on and on.... 

Please someone help

I would say that the only thing you would be unable to do is grind on someone while you have an outbreak.

Swimming pool - you can go. 
Sunbeds - you can go

Bath - don't see how that's any different from a swimming pool. The virus is spread by skin contact, so you should be fine.

Body washes - I would probably stay away from anything that has something like tea tree in it if you have an outbreak just because it might sting, but otherwise, life as usual

I have had HSV2 for at least the past 10 years (but was only just diagnosed also almost 2 months ago by chance when my doctor ordered HSV testing as part of the STI testing I requested when getting ready to start my first sexual relationship in 10 years), and I have a son who I have gone swimming with, he has used my shower scrubby when he takes a shower, he's used a towel after me...and he has not contracted anything from me. When I was first diagnosed, I initially freaked out and didn't want him drinking after me or anything...and then I started to research and realized it's not spread through casual contact and that it's been at least 10 years and I haven't spread anything to him, so I wasn't about to freak out about it now. 

You have a low chance of spreading the virus during sexual contact (4% without antivirals or condoms, 2% with one of those, and 1% with both of those), so you have essentially zero chance of infecting anyone through casual daily life contact as the virus cannot survive without a human. 

So, use a public toilet (they're still gross, but you won't spread HSV), and go about your life.

From what I hear (I am asymptomatic), the outbreaks do lessen the longer you have H. I cannot recall ever having an outbreak, and if I did, it was not anything I recognized as one, so I can't really help you there, but I have seen a lot of people report that the outbreaks get less intense and less frequent as time goes by.