• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Outbreak or lingering UTI?

Had a definite UTI the week after Thanksgiving, have felt like it’s been lingering after the first couple days when the urgency to pee is so bad. Been taking a cranberry supplement, drinking a lot water, but periodically feel like it’s still lingering. No pain, no burning, just the tiny urgency. I’ve only had 2 outbreaks in 5 years and that was early on before I took antivirals daily. Could this be an outbreak or am I probably correct in thinking it’s just a lingering UTI? 

I get that feeling sometimes like I have a UTI coming on, but when I get tested, it's negative for any bacterial growth, so now I wonder about this, if I've had this longer than when first diagnosed about 6 months ago, if it's from HSV. Also, I just got over a nasty UTI this passed weekend with high fever of 101.6, lower ab and back pain. My primary put me on antibiotics, and had to get bloodwork and urine culture. My blood work came back great, but waiting on the culture results. If it's negative, could the herpes bring on UTI infections?Just some things I wonder as well and would I have had such a bad outbreak?

32 minutes ago, Saveme51 said:

I get that feeling sometimes like I have a UTI coming on, but when I get tested, it's negative for any bacterial growth, so now I wonder about this, if I've had this longer than when first diagnosed about 6 months ago, if it's from HSV. Also, I just got over a nasty UTI this passed weekend with high fever of 101.6, lower ab and back pain. My primary put me on antibiotics, and had to get bloodwork and urine culture. My blood work came back great, but waiting on the culture results. If it's negative, could the herpes bring on UTI infections?Just some things I wonder as well and would I have had such a bad outbreak?

Goodness! I’ve never had a really bad UTI with the pain and fever like that. Bless your heart!! Sounds like yours was really a kidney infection with the lower back pain. (Drink beer when that happens! Makes you pee like crazy). I just have a severe need to pee all the time, and it usually goes away with over the counter meds. Now it’s just a tiny urge, and it’s also not constant. Also came after a weekend of lots of sex haha. And we probably had sex too soon (and too many times) after I thought the UTI was gone...sure I didn’t do myself any favors there.

I really don’t think mine is an outbreak, but you just never know with HSV and I want to make sure I am protecting my partner as much as possible. Plus, I’m on daily antivirals which makes me feel even more confident that it’s really just a pesky UTI that won’t go away.

I think menopause brings on more of my UTIs and I could have had a milder case of a diverticulitis flare-up that I get at times, so not harping on it too much. It is what it is. Last year though I did have a combo  D flare up with a kidney infection. I just know now  I focus on all my symptoms if it's an OB or not, because evn with daily suppression meds, I still feel like it's going on but in a milder way. Frustrating, lucky you had a lot of sex. I haven't had any since I was diagnosed. 

Well I have had it for five years, at least that’s how long ago I was diagnosed, and I have been on daily suppression for a year now. Didn’t take it daily before that because I was married and my husband wasn’t concerned with it. With a new partner now and take it to help protect him really. I only had two outbreaks and those were in the first year but never had any more after that  even not taking suppression. I avoid sex if I feel like an outbreak could potential he be coming, but one never comes on.  I’ve read so many uplifting stories about enjoying your sex life and talk to many people who have been in successful relationships without passing it on to their partner, so I look to them for Hope and don’t let this run my life. 

Well, for me so far it sucks. I feel like something is coming on every few days. I've been married a long time and don't remember having these symptoms until I was diagnosed, but only through a blood test, because I had a negative culture. I was HSV1 positive, so I assume I have it down there. I cheated on my husband and have had multiple STD tests in the past, but never had anything positive, so don't know how long I've had this, and my husband said he was tested, and doesn't think he has anything, but I told him those tests didn't include HSV. I told him I was positive for HSV1, might have it down there, but he didn't really think about what I was saying. We hardly have vaginal sex, because he has issues now of holding an erection long enough, but I do give him oral. My BF hasn't been tested for anything, and he never thinks he could have something, and he's cheated on his wife in the past. I know it's wrong to be doing what I'm doing, but since I told the BF about my blood test, we really haven't had sex either, just oral, so that's basically fading too, but he's in denial about anything. I could kick myself at my age for getting this.

Yes I’ve been on 1g Valtrex daily and taking Lysine. I told the nurse last week at my gyn’s Office that I feel OBs still every week and she was like well that’s the only thing he prescribes and I didn’t even get to speak to him on the phone. I’m starting Lauricidin 3x a day because I’ve read many people have had good results with it, so we’ll see. I hope you’re doing better. 

• 3 months later...