• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

No sores, constant irritation for 2 months

MarcT

Just wanted to share my symptoms and see if they are consistent with anyone else’s HSV symptoms

So about 9 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal sex and briefly received oral sex. The next day I noticed redness and irritation at my urethral opening. Followed by moderate itching and discomfort in the entire groin area. This discomfort was bothersome for about  4 weeks and lotion nor ibuprofen helped, yet there was never any real rash (however I noticed the urethral opening was somewhat swollen and the penile head skin was periodically red and looked dry). During which time I tested negative twice for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, and common bacteria that cause UTI. This doctor did not recommend testing for hsv without sores. 

At around 5 weeks I saw a new doctor that performed a prostate exam, since there was discomfort while sitting and exercising and sensitivity in the perineum area, which was also found to be negative . He decided to do an igg blood test to see if it was in fact herpes. The results were negative with <.01 for type 1 and .09 for type 2. He did not seem concerned that this was too early to test (even though I’ve read that you can get false negatives until about 3 months).

A few days after his exam I got what appeared to be the flu (sore throat with bumps at the back of tongue, back ache, fatigue, no fever). This lasted for about a week, yet the sore throat and bumps at the back of tongue continues today. The on and off genital itching and discomfort continued for a few more weeks, so I decided to see another doctor.

This doctor was more experienced and concluded that it was a yeast infection that was causing the discomfort and I likely got a common flu/cold a few weeks ago (especially since my roommates had gotten sick and I am a university student). She also had a pretty strong opinion about not testing for herpes without sores and recommended against retesting. I have since been applying clotrimazole for about a week and a half. It seems to have helped a little with the itching and discomfort, but not completely. In addition, a new symptom has surfaced which has led me to believe more and more that this is herpes. I have numbness/tingling like feeling around my left lower leg/ankle (maybe a new side effect of my ankle surgery 4 months ago?) and there is a shooting pain in the back of my leg when I lift either leg as if to kick. 

I feel like except for not having sores, these symptoms are consistent with hsv. The only visible skin irritation I’ve been able to find has been redness around my anus, which I noticed about 6 weeks ago after a detailed inspection. This redness hasn’t had any itch or pain and I haven’t seen any fissures or blisters (I have had hemorrhoids in the past, and think it could be this again). I am pretty paranoid about this and have had a hard time letting it go. I’m even worried I’ve been so obsessed that I have herpes I have made symptoms worse!

• Sad 1
53 minutes ago, MarcT said:

Just wanted to share my symptoms and see if they are consistent with anyone else’s HSV symptoms

So about 9 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal sex and briefly received oral sex. The next day I noticed redness and irritation at my urethral opening. Followed by moderate itching and discomfort in the entire groin area. This discomfort was bothersome for about  4 weeks and lotion nor ibuprofen helped, yet there was never any real rash (however I noticed the urethral opening was somewhat swollen and the penile head skin was periodically red and looked dry). During which time I tested negative twice for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, and common bacteria that cause UTI. This doctor did not recommend testing for hsv without sores. 

At around 5 weeks I saw a new doctor that performed a prostate exam, since there was discomfort while sitting and exercising and sensitivity in the perineum area, which was also found to be negative . He decided to do an igg blood test to see if it was in fact herpes. The results were negative with <.01 for type 1 and .09 for type 2. He did not seem concerned that this was too early to test (even though I’ve read that you can get false negatives until about 3 months).

A few days after his exam I got what appeared to be the flu (sore throat with bumps at the back of tongue, back ache, fatigue, no fever). This lasted for about a week, yet the sore throat and bumps at the back of tongue continues today. The on and off genital itching and discomfort continued for a few more weeks, so I decided to see another doctor.

This doctor was more experienced and concluded that it was a yeast infection that was causing the discomfort and I likely got a common flu/cold a few weeks ago (especially since my roommates had gotten sick and I am a university student). She also had a pretty strong opinion about not testing for herpes without sores and recommended against retesting. I have since been applying clotrimazole for about a week and a half. It seems to have helped a little with the itching and discomfort, but not completely. In addition, a new symptom has surfaced which has led me to believe more and more that this is herpes. I have numbness/tingling like feeling around my left lower leg/ankle (maybe a new side effect of my ankle surgery 4 months ago?) and there is a shooting pain in the back of my leg when I lift either leg as if to kick. 

I feel like except for not having sores, these symptoms are consistent with hsv. The only visible skin irritation I’ve been able to find has been redness around my anus, which I noticed about 6 weeks ago after a detailed inspection. This redness hasn’t had any itch or pain and I haven’t seen any fissures or blisters (I have had hemorrhoids in the past, and think it could be this again). I am pretty paranoid about this and have had a hard time letting it go. I’m even worried I’ve been so obsessed that I have herpes I have made symptoms worse!

I’ve had the same problems and continue to have them and more.

Any and all tests come back negative for me.

• Sad 1

Hello I had a similar story except I’m female. Had the burning tingling itching pain in my vagina and anus. Had any and all tests everything negative. I was finally diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. It can happen to men as well. Every symptom is caused by your muscles compressing your pudenal nerve which supplies all genital and anal functions. My perineal area was always on fire too. Please look into this as a possible cause. I’ve done physical therapy and finally got my life back and experience no pain anymore. 

• Like 1

Update, so I stopped using the clotrimazole after almost 2 weeks and after a day it seems to be more itchy and now there is redness and little red bumps around the urethral opening. Does this sound like a recurring yeast infection? Or maybe finally herpes? There is no pain with urination

On 1/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, Ishmael said:

That's because you don't have herpes. 

I’m trying to believe it,  but the symptoms I have match herpes.

Itchy, red bumps in groin.

Brain fog, confusion,  headaches, hard time focusing and recalling information  (made worse by eating sugar)

Tingling in the nerves of my hands, legs, and feet

Lip constantly chapped and cut

Small cuts on penis shaft with occasional peeling skin

Constant itching in my anus

Loss of hearing and a fullness of the ear

Blisters on gums

Tingling in lips

Discoloration of penis glans

Constant fatigue

Eye pain and constant dry eyes.

Itchy skin on butt checks 

Red, sore skin on corners of lips.

Constant  zits breaking out on forehead with certain spots of throbbing pain

What about any of this does not scream herpes?

• Sad 1
On 1/8/2019 at 2:36 AM, blurneworder said:

Brain fog, confusion,  headaches, hard time focusing and recalling information  (made worse by eating sugar)

Blisters on gums

Tingling in lips

Constant fatigue

A lot of these don't scream herpes and having them all in conjunction and without a cycle of outbreaks and full abatement also doesn't.  I mean you've got herpes on your groin, herpes on your penis, herpes on the outside of your mouth, herpes inside your mouth, herpes on your eyes, herpes on your butt, and herpes in your central nervous system. And the symptoms don't really come and go, there is always something happening. Like, you don't go a few weeks without any symptoms. That's some powerful herpes. Not only that, but this powerful herpes is undetectable by tests that detect herpes. Next level, all the time/everywhere herpes with stealth power.

What is does scream to me, and to at least a couple of the doctors that you've spoken with, is health anxiety, which I recognize because I also suffer from it. You sound like a guy with a rash, dry skin, canker sores and bad case of hypochondriasis.

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

A lot of these don't scream herpes and having them all in conjunction and without a cycle of outbreaks and full abatement also doesn't.  I mean you've got herpes on your groin, herpes on your penis, herpes on the outside of your mouth, herpes inside your mouth, herpes on your eyes, herpes on your butt, and herpes in your central nervous system. And the symptoms don't really come and go, there is always something happening. Like, you don't go a few weeks without any symptoms. That's some powerful herpes. Not only that, but this powerful herpes is undetectable by tests that detect herpes. Next level, all the time/everywhere herpes with stealth power.

What is does scream to me, and to at least a couple of the doctors that you've spoken with, is health anxiety, which I recognize because I also suffer from it. You sound like a guy with a rash, dry skin, canker sores and bad case of hypochondriasis.

I assure you this is not being created in my head. How can I create my own short term memory loss, constant headaches, confusion and hearing loss?

Hey guys, things still aren’t better for me. I was prescribed lotrisone (basically loteimin with some steroid cream as well) and prescribed doxycycline... neither of them helped the situation. As it stands I have cobstant irritation at the urethral opening, sometimes it flares up and is worse (don’t know if I’ve mentioned that I’m uncircumcised). It doesn’t hurt to urinate, but there is discomfort after. The leg aches and nerve issues continue. I’m setting up another doctor appointment, however it just feels like no doctor has helped or really given any good insight. Anyone have any ideas or help? I’m really going to try and push for a herpes retest 

• Thanks 1

it could be that you are passing a kidney stone or fragments of one or many.... my ex had many of the same issues that bothered him for months and at one point even I was convinced he maybe had HSV... when finally he passed the stone and all issues stopped immediately.  just a thought.

• Like 1
On 1/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, blurneworder said:

I assure you this is not being created in my head. How can I create my own short term memory loss, constant headaches, confusion and hearing loss?

The same way I do and the same way everyone else who does this does this. Also, did you actually get your hearing tested? Because when I did, no actual hearing loss. 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:36 AM, blurneworder said:

Blisters on gums

Tingling in lips

Constant fatigue

While I will remain sympathetic with your concern, because I myself have them as well, and know the scarring, pease, for the love of Pete, or whomever, GO GET A WESTERN BLOT! Maybe then, when that comes back negative, you can emotionally move on. I know the more I let go, the better I physically feel, though symptoms still subside, mainly because I'm still constantly wondering. But I do believe the lab work. Again, GO GET A WESTERN BLOT AND MOVE ON FROM THIS PART OF YOUR LIFE! Said, with all the sympathy in my heart ❤️ 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, blurneworder said:

I agree get the WB. I think what is the worst about this is that maybe it is not all in your head...then what? WB fails and even worse you don't know what it is. I find it hard to see blisters and bleeding gums are psychosomatic. I know in your position I'd be even more terrified of the WB neg. I also know little about seroconversion and how that relates to WB. Have to say this site is far more respectful in general. The facebook groups while have a different purpose are far more professional than some forums.

That its spread to your brain confuses me and other issues...these can happen and some have happened to me; however I had a diagnosis and was there when it happened. This however does not disregard it as a possibility.

My heart also goes out to you blurneworder from life perspectives and so many other things we are worlds apart and my heart hurts cos I witnessed you and others suffer and it is hard to know what to advise.

I hope this newer year brings resolution to these matters. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, Ishmael said:

It’s laughable when one person complains of these things and blames it all on herpes even when he’s testing negative, but what if I told you my penis entered an HSV2 positive vagina for less than 5 seconds, condom broke, and over the next 6 months I would develop almost the exact same symptoms as him?

Suddenly, it’s not so laughable anymore.

What blurne’s situation screams to someone who is experiencing very similar symptoms after being directly exposed to HSV2, only to see negative blood test after negative blood test, is that you may not understand herpes as well as you think you do, and that perhaps this virus may in fact just be capable of being all time, next level everywhere type shit with some extremely unbelievable stealth power.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:46 AM, UnluckyMan said:

It’s laughable when one person complains of these things and blames it all on herpes even when he’s testing negative, but what if I told you my penis entered an HSV2 positive vagina for less than 5 seconds, condom broke, and over the next 6 months I would develop almost the exact same symptoms as him?

Suddenly, it’s not so laughable anymore.

What blurne’s situation screams to someone who is experiencing very similar symptoms after being directly exposed to HSV2, only to see negative blood test after negative blood test, is that you may not understand herpes as well as you think you do, and that perhaps this virus may in fact just be capable of being all time, next level everywhere type shit with some extremely unbelievable stealth power.

Naw.  

• 1 month later...

I've started taking Valtrex, and it's helping with the daily headaches, but it has not relieved much else.

My Dermatologist tired to use a cream to solve my constant chapped, cut upper lip. Once I told her it wasn't working, she upped my dosage of Valtrex.

I asked her if the prescription of Valtex  means she thought I had HSV, and her response was "Tough question... I don't know that I can say that with any certainty. "

On 1/14/2019 at 6:49 PM, MissGuided said:

It's called emotional exhaustion. Stress. 

Explain my penis cutting itself open in the same spots. Explain my top lips developing white bumps after burning and tingling for a week. Also explain why my top lip is cut open every day. Explain the chronic dry eye. Even my eye doctor said I have a lesion on my eye similar to that of herpes. Also explain the never tingling and burning. The red spots on my thighs that itch every day. Explain the sores on my gums. Sugar triggering headaches and brain fog. Tingling it buttocks. Waves of painful zits that takes weeks to heal.

These are all symptoms of HSV.

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't explain how the girl I was dating had similar symptoms to me.

Yo man, I feel what you’re going through... and no hard feelings, but you should probably make a new thread rather than hijacking this one... Im stressin out too man which is why I started this thread, but really ended up getting no feedback towards my originally post 

Hello I had a similar story except I’m female. Had the burning tingling itching pain in my vagina and anus. Had any and all tests everything negative. I was finally diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. It can happen to men as well. Every symptom is caused by your muscles compressing your pudenal nerve which supplies all genital and anal functions. My perineal area was always on fire too. Please look into this as a possible cause. I’ve done physical therapy and finally got my life back and experience no pain anymore. 

Hi! I have had pelvic floor dysfunction too before i contracted herpes.so you meant maybe the tingling and itching pain in my vagina and anus maybe caused by it and not the herpes symptoms? I am experiencing this lately. Just contracted herpes esrlier this month. Thanks

MarcT

I've tried a variety of creams as well, doctors on visual exam believe its fungal, but the medications don't really seem to effect it, i'm in the same situation as you with mostly redness and irritation going on since August and so far no positive result on any of my tests. Plenty of people have dismissed this as herpes, but I have reasonable suspicions to believe this is herpes-the girl I was seeing had a red blister on her lip which she told me was from a sunburn but most likely it was a cold sore because it certainly  looked like one. Trying to keep a open mind though on other possibility's because other things can mimic herpes in appearance and symptoms like intertrigo, staph infections and fungal, and those are known to cause long term irritation till they are treated properly, I'm constantly seeing my doctor about this and he for sure doesn't believe this is something that I'm making up, the skin anomalies are always present upon my visits and he is open to the idea of this being herpes as he has seen similar unusual cases of herpes before. Anyways if I ever get a proper diagnoses I keep you updated.        

Sounds like we are in the same boat now... I’m at like month 5 now and there is still redness around the urethral opening that sometimes improve for a day or so, but has been pretty consistently there. Doesn’t really hurt to pee, but there is sometimes a little burning afterwards. I’ve seen like 7 doctors, including a dermatologist and urologist, and none of them think it’s herpes and don’t take me seriously when I suggest it... which is why they don’t even want to retest for it. I’ve never had any blisters, and maybe this isn’t herpes, but I just don’t know where else to turn. This has been bugging me for 5 months, there’s a girl a like but I’m too afraid tone sexually active with her in fear that I might give her whatever I have. Fungal creams seem to somewhat help, but never totally cure the issue. I really don’t think it is eczema like my dermatologist suggested. I do have an eczema like rash, however, on the back side of my elbow that has been there for a few months and won’t seem to go... but they look totally different. Any help or guidance would be so appreciated!