• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What happens if you don't take antivirals?

What happens when you got diagnosed with H and took meds for the first OB but then you for whatever reason decide to not take suppresive therapy? Your body will control the virus with time? It would be inevitable to have recurences? Or it would be worse? 

Another question, If you took some test after like 4-5 months when you had your first OB (with flu like symptoms) and the white cells are a little bit above the standard, it would be because of H or it could be another thing? 

Hi TequilaGirl!

I’ve been H+ for about three and a half years now and now only take antivirals if I’m having experiencing a prodrome- this is typically siatic nerve sensitivity for me! Over time your body builds up antibodies to the virus regardless of whether or not you use daily antivirals - in theory as your body learns to fight the virus the number of symptoms you experience will decrease. This isn’t true in all cases, and outside factors (diet, exercise, sexual activity, grooming etc) can also impact symptoms and OBs.

It’s also definitely possible to not experience another OB following your primary, I think this contributes to the lack of awareness in many cases about H status one way or another- confusion of OB with ingrown hairs of yeast infection and then nothing following definitely would make it difficult to diagnose! 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 2

I’ve never taken the antivirals because of the many negatives surrounding them. I took the holistic route by taking vitamins & no longer getting Brazilian waxes. I was diagnosed in May 2018. It’s now end of December 2018 & in that time frame I’ve  only had about 3-4 outbreaks (counting the initial one). The last one came because I got too comfortable & stopped taking my vitamins. 

• Thanks 1

@_a_rayofsunshine_ ohh that's interesting! If you have a partner how do you deal with the topic of taking antivirals to protect them? I mean counting that you just take vitamins. Because I wanna do the same, I just took antivirals for my first outbreak, since then I just treat the outbreaks with topical acyclovir and I recently start to take lysine and a mix of vitamins... and honestly I don't wanna take antivirals for the rest of my life but I'm constantly thinking about how would I protect to a potential partner if I decide to not be on suppresive therapy (and I don't choose to just because, I choose that way because I already take some thyroid and pcos meds so I don't wanna depend about pills for the rest of my life...) 😭

I guess it depends on what your partner wants!

I only ever take acyclovir if I have a OB but don't take suppressive therapy because I don't want to take any drugs for life.
My GF does not want me to take them either & she's still virus free.

I'm just very careful when I have a Brazilian wax :classic_biggrin::classic_tongue::classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1

Hi, I have been diagnosed in April 2018, horrible outbreaks. Then started to take valacyclovir daily and the outbreaks stopped. After two months of taking the pills, I decided to stop. Within a week I had another outbreak! Same thing happened after that and I realized that I simply cannot stop the drug without having outbreaks. So I decided to continue with a daily dose. And it helps, I have never had an outbreak since then. But I'm afraid to stop taking valacyclovir. I hate these outbreaks so much, I cannot stand it. By the way, I have no side effect of the pills whatsoever, so I guess I will just continue taking them.

• Thanks 1

@Pjotr keep taking them for a year & then experiment with coming off the valacyclovir as by then your immune system
will of built up a stronger tolerance.
If your OB's come back when you stop, go back on the medication.
Then keep trying as time goes on (obviously only if you don't want to take medication for life)

• Like 1

I am 5/6 years post diagnosis. I was on antivirals for a bit to help deal with that initial " is this random bump an OB"  mentality that sometimes manifests after diagnosis. I weaned myself off after about a year. I already have a six head and hair loss is a potential side affect. I also am prone ( lucky me) to kidney stones and had read that the antivirals can contribute by crystallizing in the kidney ( I was on the older version, the newer one is metabolized in the liver so it isnt a potential side affect). I prefer not having to remember to take the damned things and that worry if I forgot. My immune system seems to have a good handle on the virus now. i rarely get bumps only some itchiness that i treat with vitamin AD diaper rash ointment ( i swear by that stuff, rub on itchy spot, itchy spot goes bye-bye real quick, I think its the high level of zinc). It is all up to what you want from the meds and the costs your willing to pay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today the pharmacist said no more pills damn it they said it’s already past 6 months so I only have 400mg I’ll take em tonight and would save myself the embarrassment I want to see how things goes I don’t mind the pain am used to it as long as I’ll not have an outbreak like the first one I’ll post here how things goes am not afraid of this virus am sexually active it’s been 8 months now not sure if am interested in sex anymore!