• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Transmission rates if you have both HSV1 and HSV2

• 3 months later...
On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎03 at 4:10 PM, Lost4ever43 said:

I’ve been looking for similar information... I have type 1 & 2 both genitally... I wonder if I’m more contagious because of this ?  Or maybe not because HSV 1 genitally doesn’t shed as much ??? 

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I can't seem to find answer anywhere but I believe it does make us somewhat more contagious.

I had a swab done about 20 years ago & found out I had type 1... never had another outbreak.... around October / November of this past year I had another outbreak .  I thought it was hsv 1 showing up again.  Had a blood test done & it now shows type 2.  It has been devastating. 

• Sad 1

Hey all! If you have both strains genitally, then the 4% transmission rate (to males; 10% to females) would apply here since that’s the highest shedding rate of the two. (And the 4% number on the handouts is referring to genital HSV-2 specifically — I need to update that handout to make that more clear.)

• Thanks 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: