• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Prodrome questions!

Hi there,

So long story, I have HSV Type 1 oral. I've gotten cold sores on my lips my whole life. Or so I have been told. Now I'm not so sure.

I recently dated a woman who was type 1 genital positive. We only had sex a handful of times and the first few times we didn't use protection. She takes Valtrex daily. I'm curious if I could have still gotten HSV 1 genital from her.

For the last 2 months I've been getting pain while urinating, and pain in my penis in very specific spots. It started with just the pain in my penis, but there has been a definite progression to it. Occassionally I'll get a tingling on the tip of my penis before or after urination. The pain is never constant and there is no pattern to the pain. Eventually the pain spread to my testes, pelvic region, lower back, and middle back. About 3 weeks ago I began having aching pains in my hips, thighs, and knees. I haven't had any sores of any kind.

I've been blood tested and low and behold, positive type 1, negative type 2.

Saw a urologist who tested me for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and UTI. All negative. Started me on antibiotics, azithromycin and doxycycline. Symptoms subsided significantly then rebounded once the azithromycin wore off. My symptoms are going away but I'm very paranoid.

Those of you that had the pain in your hips, thighs, etc. How did it feel? I appreciate any advice.

Hi Idontlikeusernames

It is possible to have HSV1 orally & genitally but as far as I have read, not very common, it normally stays in one place.
Also blood tests are not always correct & the only way to know for certain is a swab from an OB
which is impossible if you don't get any in your genital area.

Obviously if you have cold sores, you know you have HSV1 anyway.

The symptoms you have described are associated with HSV but bodies are complicated, other things can also cause them.
Pain when peeing, happens when you first contract GHSV but again that could be something else.

I guess you need to give it more time & keep going to your Doctor if symptoms all persist.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry so much because thinking the worse,
can make you think you have pains/feelings in your body, that if relaxed you may not experience.

All the best & good luck mate

15 minutes ago, Amando said:

Hi Idontlikeusernames

It is possible to have HSV1 orally & genitally but as far as I have read, not very common, it normally stays in one place.
Also blood tests are not always correct & the only way to know for certain is a swab from an OB
which is impossible if you don't get any in your genital area.

Obviously if you have cold sores, you know you have HSV1 anyway.

The symptoms you have described are associated with HSV but bodies are complicated, other things can also cause them.
Pain when peeing, happens when you first contract GHSV but again that could be something else.

I guess you need to give it more time & keep going to your Doctor if symptoms all persist.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry so much because thinking the worse,
can make you think you have pains/feelings in your body, that if relaxed you may not experience.

All the best & good luck mate

I should also mention the blood test was taken in September, about 2.5 months before any symptoms showed up. I keep getting told by both the Urologist and the local std clinic staff that my symptoms aren't herpes related and that something else is going on, but I'm not sure. Could it still be herpes even if antibiotics help?