• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hsv2 positive-many questions and my dr has left me stranded

I was told but haven’t been able to obtain copies of the tests:

UTI=negative

HSV1 swab=negative

HSV2 swab=positive

25 days after onset of primary in. I am completely numb on genitals and  anus and periodically butt

• Bladder retention and constipation 
  • Still have thick white discharge. No smell. 
  • No new lesions
  • No topicals, except occasional cortisone with cooling
  • 500mg Valtrex daily
  • Also started reservatrol and LLysine supplements

1 Should I get a blood test to help determine if this is new or old? Seems very much like a primary outbreak. Will Valtrex impede accurate results? When and how many times should I test?

2 can you explain how Valtrex impedes testing? It sounds like it will decrease count for swab, but does it have an effect on antibody blood testing? Will supplements impede accurate testing? Will Valtrex block you from building antibodies? Seems like you want antibodies? Is there more or less shedding with more or less antibodies?

3 Any advice on current symptoms?

4 if I have genital hsv2, can I get hsv2 oral? And is it possible to get hsv 1 genitally or orally or lower transmission rate?

• 2 weeks later...

One doesn’t generally get 2 orally, as there’s only a 1-2% chance. It prefers the genitals.

You can pass 1 from oral sex to mouth, and vice versa, though. 

If you have 2 you are a less likely to get 1, but not the other way around.

There is a good bit of info about this in the videos and blogs. If you haven’t spent time viewing them I really suggest it. It helped me deal with this a lot faster than I would have otherwise.

I would think that you should have any discharge tested. You may have a bacterial vaginosis or another problem, as that generally isn’t a symptom for HSV. 

Don’t know how Valtrex would affect testing...but if you have only done swabs, you should get a typing blood test- I did a 10 panel (will test for other things too) and find out if the type 1 is there too. It often is there orally and would not be showing on a genital swab perhaps, but you could still have it. (I did. My ex’s mom had it so I assume I got it from him. When we kiss our kids we can pass it at that age...and then as they grow, they don’t know they have it.)

Also, don’t assume your doctor knows a dang thing. Mine were wrong about so much.  I work at a Health Department, so once I figured out the real facts, I then told all my nurses. They say they get no training about the types. One of them actually had no clue that 1 can be transferred to the genitals by oral sex. All that college and no knowledge!! I have found this site to be much more helpful.

Mostly know that you should treat yourself well. Once the initial outbreak is over, you will feel better; mine took about a month and then I was feeling more like normal. You are still that same sexy, amazing person. Be good to yourself!