• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How do you deal with this ...

How do you deal with people talking / making fun of herpes and other STIs?  It happened at work today & I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.   I’m struggling enough as it is and to feel like I’m the only one and everyone else finds it funny and entertaining makes me feel so alone .  

I'm sorry you felt that way because I definitely know how it feels! Hell I''m literally watching Sixteen Candles as we speak, and a reference to it just made me feel like shit. I've tried a few different things! I've ignored it or I've thrown out some hard facts trying to educate them. In the end, they're usually really uneducated and don't mean it or they're just a dick. Lol. Before this I didn't know jack about it other than the jokes in movies, etc! You can choose to educate them some; it empowered me or just let it roll off your shoulders. The worst was when my I was texting my mom way before she knew about it and she told me about 3 guys to stay away from, one because they have herpes. I said so what, they're people too! She sooo shit talked herpes and said it's gross, etc etc. Thank God it was through text because I was a mess. Anyway stay strong and don't take it personal; they're just ignorant!

@Lost4ever43

I can honestly say I know how that feels. I've got a coworker, very loud Australian guy, and he jokes about STD's, rashes, etc. non stop. Even saw the episode on Family Guy regarding a toilet calling his "girl friend" telling her he has herpes.

Not sure if you're a Game of Thrones fan, but there is a part in Season One where Tyrion tells Jon Snow how to deal with being a bastard. In which he says "wear it like armor, and it can never be used against you". Basically, it's something that comes in time. Most people don't know what it's like to have an infectious disease, and if they do, they may cope by making fun of it or other people

You would be surprised to find out exactly how many people around you have GHSV 1/2. The important thing is to remember that this does not define who you are. It's a condition like any other. You are YOU. They will never know what you go through, or how much you suffer in silence,. It certainly takes a stronger person to have to be dealt this hand of cards, and turn it into a winning hand. Though I will promise you, that it is certainly doable. And you've come to the right place to find out how.

One step at a time. And I for one will be here every step of the way.