• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Genital herpes and anal herpes? Help

Hello all,

I have been seeing my significant other for around 7 months. We just recently stopped using condoms and on December 26 I got extremely itchy in my vaginal area. This was 12 days after we had sex not using condoms. I was working at the time and it was almost unbearable. I googled and herpes came up. I had no lesions or ulcers. Nothing to indicate herpes. Just extreme itching. The following day I got my period and things seemed to have gone away or subsided. But I noticed that I had tiny paper like cuts on my labia on both sides. They were not painful to touch. These took about a week and a half to subside. I went to my doctor and she believed it was a yeast infection and told me suppliment with that. Now my anal area is itchy and has had tiny cuts in it for a little while. They heal then resurface. Now I have a larger looking open like ulcer. I am definitely thinking this is herpes. I am going to see my doctor in regard to this next week but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms, I am very nervous. The anal issue is what is really bothering me. Also if this has risen from my current partner and him having it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Genital herpes can manifest anally, it can manifest anywhere in the "boxershorts" region of the body. I never had lesions either. It can take some time to figure it out through blood testing, as the timeframe for establishing antibodies can be many weeks, and even then the tests can be inconclusive. Having a lesion swabbed and tested is the best option for getting confirmation right away (but is also tricky to interpret if the swab comes back negative, it could be a false negative if the swab isn't done at the right time). Talk to your doctor about how to arrange to have any sore that appears swabbed immediately. A week is too long to wait to have that done. 

I recommend googling Terri Warren's Westover Heights Clinic, look for the herpes handbook download. There is lots of good information on her site, and you can also pay for a consultation with her if you aren't getting the help you need from your local doctor.

Thanks so much for replying! How did your herpes outbreaks manifest? Are you lesions atypical? My issue is that these fissures in my anus and vaginal walls (vagina only has one tiny small little cut) have not healed at all. They don’t crust over they don’t hurt there just there. 

Everybody experiences hsv differently. My initial outbreak was extremely obvious and very typical, but I’ve had outbreaks very similar to what you’re explaining here. I googled everything else it could possibly be in the days between when I was tested and when the results came back. The only way to know for sure is a test. You can order a blood test yourself without a doctor that takes about 72 hours to come back. Just google std blood test. There are multiple sites that do it. If this is a new infection it might not show on a blood test yet. 

I know its impossible not to worry, but try to not get too worried or stressed about it until you know for sure.