• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV-1 transmission rates

I've read a lot about the transmission rates for HSV-2 but I never see much about the rates for HSV-1.

Does anyone know more about the rates of transmission for HSV-1, oral or genital? I am unsure where mine is located and only found out due to a blood test to ease my worries but unfortunately it didn't do that because HSV-1 on a blood test doesn't tell me much. I still wish to disclose though by explaining I carry this strain but some statistics to go with it would help. 

If anyone knows them or of any useful websites then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

I personally don't think you need to disclose unless you're having oral sex. more than likely you have it in your mouth, and its an incredibly common virus. Most people who know they have it orally don't disclose before oral (which is a weird double standard, because your more likely to pass it on oral to genital that genital to genital). Your situation is the reason why health care professionals don't recommend getting the blood test. Let it ride unless you show signs of it genitally, then start to disclose (again, with the double standard bullshit).

@SD1990

I agree but I have shown certain symptoms in my genitals, however they've been dismissed as something else by heath care professionals. Although very mild (small painless white heads etc) I am still paranoid from what I have read that it could be a mild outbreak despite never being diagnosed. Part of me wishes I didn't take a blood test at all but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't HSV-2 first. 

If it is genital then I probably caught it from receiving oral sex but considering 80% of people carry HSV-1 it's hard to avoid.