• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Blood test vs swab

So I was just recently diagnosed with hsv 2 a couple of weeks ago. I had a new partner and started breaking out within the week so I went to PP and had the swab my blisters. I declined the antibody test because I had read about all the discrepancies with it but my partner had one done anyway. His test came back positive for hsv 1 antibodies but negative for hsv 2 antibodies. He told me he's had fever blisters on and off since high school so no surprise there.

I can deal with the outbreak. I immediately started acyclovir and they went away. I'm just so confused because of the conflicting information. If I had it for years, why suddenly outbreak just after sleeping with this guy? Of course I know the blood tests have some flaws but it seems they're overall pretty accurate with usually more false positives than false negatives. 

Might also be worth noting that he had a cold the following week after we hooked up, meaning a lowered immune system. This all just seems a little coincidental. Is it possible to just build enough hsv 1 antibodies that that's his body's defense against hsv 2???