• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Newly diagnosed - question about transmission

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed today with genital HSV after a swab test. Very disappointed in myself as it was one time with a new casual partner and now I've got it forever 😞 Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere but I just wanted to clarify as I've received different information, can you still transmit to someone else even when there are no sores? My GP seemed to think I couldn't but I've read that you're still infectious with no symptoms. Does anyone know the chances of transmitting between outbreaks whilst using contraception and taking antiviral medication? 

Thanks in advance!

Im so sorry this has happened to you but welcome. This is a good place to get information and there's so many of us on here if you need someone to talk to.

Yes you can still spread the virus without visible sores! It's called viral shedding. People don't think they can give the virus when they don't have sores and this is probably how more than half of us on this site now have this gift that keeps giving.

The transmission rate depends if you are a a female sleeping with non-infected or vice versa. But being a female, Ive researched it was 1% being on antivirals and using condoms while not having an OB; female with non infected male. It goes to 2% if on antivirals but not using condoms. I believe its a little higher male to female like 3 or 4% but I'm not exactly sure what the numbers are.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! It's good to get some clarification as knowledge is power. It's nice to know I'm not alone as sometimes I feel like I'm keeping a big secret from everyone and feel so isolated. I think the hardest part will be having the conversation with a potential partner for the first time and being prepared to be rejected. 

Thanks again for you help 🙂