• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

High dose Valtrex for suppression

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed (4 weeks ago) with GHSV1. Originally, I was prescribed 1g twice a day of Valtrex for 10 days. Everything cleared up, but a week later I got symptoms of another OB. I aborted it with Valtrex 1g three times day for 7 days (I clarified this dose with my Dr). I then started suppressive therapy 500mg once a day with Valtrex....and I got another OB a week later!!! Also aborted without valtrex 1g three times a day for 3 days. 

I guess I will up my daily dose to 1g and see if it helps. 

Has anyone went beyond 1g/day for suppression? Obviously I respond to high dose (3g/day with an OB). At what point is it unsafe and should I consider a different antiviral? Curious about others experiences...

I get the feeling from my Dr that he doesn’t know a heck of a lot about herpes, nevermind treatment.

Exactly! I asked my Dr about the difference between ongoing nerve pains and prodromal symptoms (ie. When should I start popping extra Valtrex). He told me that if it was an OB I would get lesions...well no shit...the point is to catch it BEFORE that! Useless.

I continue to have ongoing nerve pains. And I’m just doing my own research into medications and doses. My pharmacist has also been very helpful. 

Are you having similar symptoms?