• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Men with genital hsv 1

Mid 30’s male here.

Contracted Genital HSV1 

symptoms started late December 

diagnosed mid January 

Never had an exposure to any hsv till now. I know this because I was experiencing painful urination as my first symptom, went to the doc and was tested for all Sti including H and the results came back negative for everything. I believe the H test was igg and reason it was negative is because I hadn't built up the antibodies yet. Doctor disregarded H at the time after that test came back negative till I experienced more symptoms such as skin irritation or sores on the penis, sore back and legs and the painful uriniation was excruciating so I called the doc and he told me to come in. He performs a swab test of the urethra (not sure what test this is called? Culture test?) comes back positive for hsv1 and negative for hsv2. This indicates a new exposure. He acts like no big deal on the phone with the results. Maybe to protect my sanity and I’m starting to see this is the norm for doctors to do with hsv. They almost don’t even want u to know. He says well the results came back and I’m like ok? He’s like it’s a cold sore! I’m thinking yeah on my private’s. He prescribed me 10 days of generic Valtrex. I go back for a follow up and he can feel my anxiety and ask what’s wrong and I tell him I’m having a hard time coping with this. He tells me to stop reading about it. I’m thinking yeah easier said than done plus I should now educate myself because I got this in the first place by not being educated. It’s made me feel so dumb that I catch myself in the car calling myself a dumb mother f’er. I’m so disappointed in myself to say the least and have had all the thoughts most people have when being diagnosed with this. I got this is a result of oral sex from a female. We were having sex for about 2 or 3 months and she was the only partner in over a year. We talked about std’s because I initiated it and She said she’d take sti test to make me feel better so she tells me everything came back negative and I hadn’t even thought or knew hsv was not on the menu of standard sti testing so it slipped my mind. If I knew I’d obviously ask if she ever had cold sores. One day I go to pick her up and she has a huge blister on her lip and I’m like is that herpes? She’s like no it’s a fever blister. I’ve had them since I was a kid. I just had received oral sex from her that whole week. She’s going to school to become a medical assistant and that makes it even harder for me to know she did not know and kind of pisses me off that she wasn’t aware of her condition or body. She goes to class the next day and tells her teacher that someone told her this fever blister is herpes and her teacher tells her to tell whoever that person is that their a dumbass. Lack of education all around I guess. 

Anyways I’ve really been struggling with this in my head. It’s literally  taken over my life. I’ve lost about 8 ponds due to no appetite. Can’t sleep and when I fall asleep I have trouble waking up. Been late to work several times. Coworkers are telling me mind is somewhere else. Customers asking me what’s wrong. Family knows something is wrong because I’ve isolated myself from the world. This has caused a major depression and don’t know what the future holds. I wish they would discover a cure for people’s sanity. Also I’ve read people’s post that says this is just a skin condition but how can you say when this can kill a newborn if we were to try to get with a women that was negative? Guess thats because a negative women would go for us and risk catching genital or oral. I’m aware of c section if primary exposure happens during pregnancy but again if I had to explain all this to a negative women how the hell can I convince her to gonfor me. I feel like my manhood has been taken away from me. I don’t even feel like a person anymore. More like a walking herpetic zombie. I’m sorry everyone for being negative. This might be against forum rules, I’m not sure. I am here to vent and get advice. I appreciate everyone here and glad I found this site but I pray to God this nasty virus can be eradicated someday soon for the sake of us that can’t see ourselves moving on. 

I do still want to hear from men who have had ghsv1 for a while and what to expect? How many outbreaks can I expect? I know it varies from person to person and have read that it decreases after first year. I also read an article with a doctor claiming that with ghsv1 “it’s a one shot deal” but I don’t seam to believe that. I’ve read many articles on transmission rates and recurrences but want to hear from real life people also that are going through it. I’m also afraid that I caught this orally simotanously. I haven’t developed a cold sore on any corner of my lip anywhere but I can feel it in the middle of my lip if that makes sense. I’m just lost in life right now. I just was coming out of a 4 year depression and this knocked me on my ass. Also reason I’m asking to hear from men because it seams like women are suffering with multiple outbreaks a year with genital 1 and obviously they have a different part so I haven’t found many guys posting about their ghsv1 with my countless hours of searching. 

Also my primary outbreak is still going, no lie. It’s been about a month and a half of hell. I still feel a tingling itchy feeling in my urethra (pee hole) and a had a secondary scab or blister. Maybe this was a secondary OB? Not sure but the first OB never healed all the way. I’ve been itching like crazy and I was already suffering from an autoimmune disease called Lichen Planus and this has woken that SOB up like no other. My whole body had been itching. Lichen Planus is when your immune system attacks your skin basically by mistake and causes erosive lesions. This life has been hell to say the least. 

I know his post is too long and all over the place but can you guys also tell me if your on some kind of diet? Have u been with a negative partner and avoided infecting her? I wanted to settle down soon and have kids but not sure how that’s looking for me? 

By the way I am a smoker. Work in a very stressful environment. I’m in fair shape for not going to the gym in a while. I plan to go back. I just started taking olive leaf extract pills and oregano oil. I’ve read about oregano oil being able to destroy the virus and supposedly cure it but that’s probably fantasy land and I don’t want to be the one to misinform any one or get their hopes up because I’ve got my hopes up from reading and I guess I still have my hopes up in some way. Lol idk. I even watched James destroys diseases but I would never be able to follow his all fruit diet and protocol unless I knew it was 100 cure. Also nobody ever comments back to being “cured” in his videos but some people have made claims of retesting negative. Somewhat interesting I guess. Like I’ve said this had consumed my life. Even had a dream or nightmare I should say that I broke out all over my lips. I just really wish there was a cure. I would do anything to take my life back. 

Well I know I am no guy and I also have Ghsv1. I got mine from ex partner that decided to not tell me that they had the virus. Anyways I really struggled with the virus for a few months. I also was told by my doctor it’s just cold sores and most of the population has Hsv1. However, I was on antivirals but they aren’t good the side effects long term are bad from what I have experienced. I became infected in July 2018.. I’m finally feeling better, emotionally it will always feel this burden that u have to carry. I know haven’t had an outbreak for a few months. Both my dermatologist and Obgyn said after about 6 months it calms down once your immune system can fight it. I also was told it may never come back because Hsv1 doesn’t like to be in the gential area. I take lysine and olive leaf and folic acid and few other supplements to help my immune system. I personally haven’t had to disclose to anyone as of yet only my close friends and family, everyone has been very supportive and that has been a blessing since I beat myself up for trusting someone that I thought cared and loved me and had my best interest. All I can say is yes this sucks and I wished that I could change it because it changed my entire life! However it does it better and sometimes u get to forget for a moment u have it! Keep in mind that 80% of the population has Hsv1 so more ppl have then don’t. A lot ppl have no idea they are carrying the virus because they didn’t get the effects as we did. Hope it gets better for u and know that there is a lot of support here for you! 

Let me tell you this! Women are more likely to get the std then men! It’s due to the way we were built. Condoms are necessary unless your partner doesn’t care! There is also medicine to help with shedding! 

I used a condom with a guy but we did a little rubbing before hand and bam I got it! 

Good news though people with HSV1 don’t have as many outbreaks as HSV 2. I have one as well. I’ve only had my initial and I haven’t had anymore.

being healthy and doing stuff to lower your stress will help you avoid having outbreaks! 

Go back to your doctor! I have lychansclerosis and chronic yeast infections so it’s hard to separate, but definitely keep going back to your doctor! Or if you aren’t comfortable or if they seem stupid please find another one! If you are taking the pills to get rid of it it should be gone! Your outbreak should have been over and the virus put at bay!

Let me know if you have more question!

3 hours ago, Joe Joe said:

Thanks for the reply and support. How did he pass it to you if you don’t mind me asking? This anxiety is far too real. My anxiety level has reached the sky. Doc said he will have to put me on antidepressants but I refuse 

I got it from intercourses he had a small sore I didn’t see and then never told me it supposed to be super rare to get this way but my luck I got it. I went on antidepressants and always having some side effects from the medication. I’m just trying really hard with eat well and supplements and exercising.

well hang in there it will get better your body needs time to fight it. I did start doing yoga and getting massages to help lower my stress level. 

3 hours ago, Joe Joe said:

Thanks for the reply and support. How did he pass it to you if you don’t mind me asking? This anxiety is far too real. My anxiety level has reached the sky. Doc said he will have to put me on antidepressants but I refuse 

Also u should know that once u have Hsv1 u can’t get it again.. so if u date someone with it that have oral u can’t get reinfected with it orally because u already have it gentially. The only time that can happen is when u first get infected if both areas are infected. There is a time span also where it can happen but highly unlikely for the first couple of months while your immune system is adjusted to fighting the virus. Not sure if u knew this already. It’s a lot to digest and can totally relate with what ur going through. We can only have hope that it gets better and that acceptance won’t be and issue when u decide to try to date someone. That’s probably where I’m more freaked out but it is what it is! Can’t let this ruin our lives but it’s definitely made me rethink the whole dating scene.

4 hours ago, Michgirl73 said:

Also u should know that once u have Hsv1 u can’t get it again.. so if u date someone with it that have oral u can’t get reinfected with it orally because u already have it gentially. The only time that can happen is when u first get infected if both areas are infected. There is a time span also where it can happen but highly unlikely for the first couple of months while your immune system is adjusted to fighting the virus. Not sure if u knew this already. It’s a lot to digest and can totally relate with what ur going through. We can only have hope that it gets better and that acceptance won’t be and issue when u decide to try to date someone. That’s probably where I’m more freaked out but it is what it is! Can’t let this ruin our lives but it’s definitely made me rethink the whole dating scene.

I’m sorry that’s not true! I have had  HSV-1 orally since I was a little girl then almost a year ago I got HSV-1 genitally! 

4 hours ago, Joe Joe said:

Did he have any sores when the rubbing occurred or do u think u got it while he was asymptomaticlly shedding? 

And damn that means you got it as genital to genital when I’ve read that genital to genital is rare but maybe not? 

Men rarely show symptoms that they have herpes. You could have been carrying it for awhile before you even got symptoms. 

He had no symptoms and he believes he still doesn’t have it. I don’t like when a guy goes down on me so there is no way I could have gotten it orally. 

Supposedly it is rare, I’ve no idea though. All I know is I have it and my doctors didn’t say that it was rare or anything. 

7 minutes ago, Michgirl73 said:

I know u can get 1 and 2 in both locations but once they are in one location thEy don’t usually transfer.

Tell that to my vagina! 😂 I don’t trust these supposed professionals and doctors. To be honest despite the fact the first written documented case of herpes was during the period of Ancient Greece, we still don’t know that much about the virus. I’ve even talked to a person where she had a cold sore didn’t think much of it replaced her tampon and got type one genitally. It can transfer! It doesn’t matter if you have the virus in one area! 

It might be unlikely but it definitely happens! I don’t like when they say unlikely. It’s not never and it gives people false hope. It is likely. When they use unlikely to me it translates to they don’t really know, that they are guessing.

all I’m trying to say is when it comes to this virus never say never. It’ll surprise you all the time.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:33 PM, Joe Joe said:

By the way I am a smoker. Work in a very stressful environment. I’m in fair shape for not going to the gym in a while. I plan to go back. I just started taking olive leaf extract pills and oregano oil. I’ve read about oregano oil being able to destroy the virus and supposedly cure it but that’s probably fantasy land and I don’t want to be the one to misinform any one or get their hopes up because I’ve got my hopes up from reading and I guess I still have my hopes up in some way. Lol idk. I even watched James destroys diseases but I would never be able to follow his all fruit diet and protocol unless I knew it was 100 cure. Also nobody ever comments back to being “cured” in his videos but some people have made claims of retesting negative. Somewhat interesting I guess. Like I’ve said this had consumed my life. Even had a dream or nightmare I should say that I broke out all over my lips. I just really wish there was a cure. I would do anything to take my life back. 

Hey @Joe Joe

Well let me tell you this. I have only had one outbreak. I haven’t changed my eating habits and I don’t really work out. I constantly remain stressed out. For your health in general I’d quit smoking but I’ve never heard it correlate. NEVER TRUSR ANYONE THAT SAYS ITS A CURE! btw sometimes the blood tests can read a false negative and that’s probably what those cases are.

27 year old male with GHSV1 . Got diagnosed August 2018 but felt symptoms related to H since March 2018 (Mainly Sciatic Nerve Pain going down back of my left leg only) Since My initial OB in Aug 2018 Ive only had 2 minor irritating sores that cleared up far quicker than the first time and didnt even scab up like the first one did, although the itch felt the same.

To be honest, I really believe it was the way I was stressing myself out ( you detailed it perfectly ) Also I tend to get massively depressed during the holidays so Id like to think theres a solid correlation there. I stopped my Valcylovir by Sept 2018 cause it was rockin my kidneys and just tried to be healthy and happy. I mostly eat vegetable soups and fruits with the occasional whole bag of doritos and 64 oz of orange juice a day but Im trying to stop that lol. 

@Joe Joe I know it sucks my man, it really does. But trust me when I say you can control it or let it control you. You might not see a lot of comeback stories on here cause I believe ppl tend to forget about this site when they achieve "normalcy" again but it is possible to be happy again . I feel like Ive been depressed since I was 13 but having H really opened my eyes to the fragility of life.  I really hope you can find your happiness and truly forgive yourself for this even though this WAS NOT your fault, You just got dealt a shit hand but it could have been worst. Like Winnie the Pooh says "Today is my favorite day, Tomorrow is just too much day for me" lmao I just quoted winnie the pooh. Sulking wont help and its easier said than done , but this is your life now and you have to make that choice . Fight this dirty mother effin H with DIET, EXERCISE, and optimism and one day you WILL wake up stronger than you were when you slipped out of that 4 year depression . This doesnt take years off your life unless YOU waste your days constantly worrying about it. Educate yourself more and most importantly find comfort in the people that you love and love you.

• Like 2
On 2/28/2019 at 8:14 PM, Notgoingthere said:

Tell that to my vagina! 😂 I don’t trust these supposed professionals and doctors. To be honest despite the fact the first written documented case of herpes was during the period of Ancient Greece, we still don’t know that much about the virus. I’ve even talked to a person where she had a cold sore didn’t think much of it replaced her tampon and got type one genitally. It can transfer! It doesn’t matter if you have the virus in one area! 

oh yea and I dont mean to sound like a DOOFUS but that first part made me LOL

• Haha 1