hi202020

Burning and tingling long after initial outbreak

Hi guys,

I was recently diagnosed with gHSV1 and my initial outbreak cleared up over a week ago and I am still experiencing neuropathic burning, itching and tingling all around my genitals. I don't have any signs of a second breakout, so I'm wondering if this is common and if so if it's something that is associated with the initial outbreak, and if I should expect it to go away, and not come back, or is this something that tends to stick around? I'm really curious to hear other people's experiences with this, and also I'd like to understand what exactly is going on physiologically if anyone has insight. 

I'm hoping that my first outbreak will be the last, which seems to be a good chance with gHSV1, and of course I'm hoping the burning, tingling and itching I'm experiencing post outbreak goes away for good soon as well, and just want to hear other people's experiences or even get some data as to what I can expect here.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, hi202020 said:

Hi guys,

I was recently diagnosed with gHSV1 and my initial outbreak cleared up over a week ago and I am still experiencing neuropathic burning, itching and tingling all around my genitals. I don't have any signs of a second breakout, so I'm wondering if this is common and if so if it's something that is associated with the initial outbreak, and if I should expect it to go away, and not come back, or is this something that tends to stick around? I'm really curious to hear other people's experiences with this, and also I'd like to understand what exactly is going on physiologically if anyone has insight. 

I'm hoping that my first outbreak will be the last, which seems to be a good chance with gHSV1, and of course I'm hoping the burning, tingling and itching I'm experiencing post outbreak goes away for good soon as well, and just want to hear other people's experiences or even get some data as to what I can expect here.

Yes I experienced nerve issues. It took up to 6 mths before it started to get better but comes and goes at times. I was on suppressive therapy for the first couple months and didn’t experience it until I took myself off. I experienced it more in my thighs and buttocks area. I pray mine don’t come back but I do take supplements to help with that.

I’m experiencing the exact same thing. My ghsv1 initial outbreak (about a month ago)  was bad sore wise and healed up quickly. It wasn’t until last week I started experiencing nerve pain, skin sensitivity and swollen lymph nodes. I ended up with a second less severe outbreak, but the leg pain was unbearable. Doing another lower dose round of valtrex helped with the brevity of sores, but I still have skin sensitivity down my thighs, up my back, and numbness in my groin.

All of it has made me really paranoid that there’s something else, so it helps to know someone else has experienced it too. I’ve seen other posts about it, especially related to ghsv1, so I think it’s normal, just awful. Hope you feel better and that this helps!

@hi202020 and @Meggers23 I just posted about this too! I’m 4 months in from my first outbreak and as soon as the sores (really tiny) cleared all these sensations began, some days are better than others, but they’re always there. I’ve tried lots of immune boosting supplements and Valtrex for 2 months but nothing seems to help. I hope with time it gets better and am so sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this feeling too.