• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Positive Test Results

I started feeling tingling and discomfort. I googled like crazy and then sure enough, the next day I woke up to a small sore. 

I went to the doctor as soon as I could get an appointment which was two days later. She checked the spot I had a sore and said it looked more like I cut myself shaving and I was experiencing discomfort because I have an infection probably from the razor. 

She took a culture and then drew blood. Three days later, my blood work came back negative for being ever exposed to herpes or signs of having a current outbreak. I thought thank god. 

Then, my culture came back and it was positive for HSV2. 

My doctor didn’t really explain in terms I can explain why my bloodwork came back negative but I do in fact have herpes. 

Can an someone please explain? Thank you in advance. 

I read somewhere on this site that it does take a few weeks for it to show up in blood , thats why its not the best type of test to get for H . The swabs are def more accurate for sho. Hopefully someone that doesnt have the mental capacity of a brillo pad can give you a more knowledgeable answer 

My bloodwork was also negative but swab was positive. It means it was likely a recent infection. If you re test a couple weeks later, the blood will show positive. 

It is extremely rare that a positive swab test is wrong. I had a hard time accepting it because the blood was negative and I researched and asked a couple different doctors hoping for a different answer. 

My boyfriend is asymptamatic and didn’t know he had herpes until he gave it to me. He was tested and blood test confirmed he is positive.