• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes the change i needed in my life? positive change!

Following my diagnosis and initial painful outbreak accompanied by a week of flu like symptoms i was ready to accept a life plagued with herpes. I was sleeping most of the day, ignoring the things i needed to accomplish. The guy i had recently started dating before my diagnosis was afraid to touch my genitals in any way. I felt inadequate and lost my insatiable, incredible sex drive for weeks. It was a mutual decision to become just friends with the guy i mentioned, because his rare germophobic personality couldn't handle sexual relations anymore.

This left more "me" time in my life. I was more motivated than ever to complete my study abroad application, i picked up the novel i began back in february, and i started hitting the gym again for 2 hours at a time. I am now taking vitamin C, lysine, and acyclovir daily. I was only diagnosed a month and a half ago and i already feel like a better me. I no longer look at guys as sexual objects and i have no desire to simply hookup...a nasty habit of mine prior to my diagnosis. Ironically i was diagnosed with HSV1 and believe it was from someones mouth i had been seeing.

I have matured more in these past few weeks than i ever thought imaginable. I feel like i have this insight that many my age do not possess yet. I am so thankful for my diagnosis, because it changed me into the respectable person i realize i am capable of. At age 21, i am not going to let a skin condition rule my life, nor my relationships. The right person will realize it IS only a skin condition. Anyways, i have realized i am way too young to care about a serious relationship. I have so many goals and aspirations i can accomplish to their fullest when i am devoting my time to ME.

All of you 20-somethings out there who have been diagnosed, take this as a sign that your life is ready for change. You can be anyone you want. and you CAN fly off to New Zealand to study for a whole semester your senior year of college.

Wow, great to read such a positive outcome. Congrats on your decision to study abroad. Sounds like a blast (:

As you said here, I am also trying to focus more on me. I need to learn to be my own best friend, instead of relying on others to make me happy (: