Sign in to follow this  
LJ1209

Suppressive Therapy

Good morning!

If you started taking suppressive therapy - how long until you decreased or stopped it? Did your body react okay to it? What did your Dr recommend? Mine does not seem overly knowledgable about any of this, so I am curious what your discussions may have been.

I was diagnosed June '18 - started on 1g Valtrex daily. I have not had an OB since. I hate swallowing pills and discussed with my Dr in December about reducing to 500mg - they said it was fine and just let them know if something needs to change.

I tried it and within a month I had an OB - very minor. I thought it was a fluke and kept going on my 500mg/day. Cut to February and I get another OB. I decided that I needed to up my dosage back to where I was - however the flu struck which prevented any intake of meds 😩😠 I am now dealing with an OB almost as bad as my initial.

I have had hsv2 for a year and had two painful outbreaks at the beginning. I then went on to start suppressive therapy of acyclivor 400mg twice a day and haven't looked back. For me they are a god send and prevent me from getting outbreaks.

I'm on my first OB, and I'll take pills every day to make it not happen again. I'm not sure what the downside is as I haven't had any side effects.