• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I have gHSV1, he has oral HSV1... questions!

Ok. So, I started dating. 

Partner has plain old oral hsv1. I have genital hsv1, and oddly, no lesions in the oral region. 

Graphic questions coming...

If he goes down on me, then we kiss, am I at risk for now having oral lesions? 

Since he already gets cold sores, is he more likely to break out if he goes down on me?

Since he already gets cold sores, is he less likely to get it genitally? 

I know about autoinoculation, but that's less likely with hsv1. You can spread it to eyes, hands, etc. 

I just want as much information as possible so we can make informed sexual safety decisions. 

1. Since he already has HSV-1, as long as he doesn't have active cold sores or symptoms, your risk for getting oral HSV-1 orally I don't believe is high. I'm not as familiar with facts on HSV-1 orally but I'm relating it to genital HSV transmission. Both parties, whether oral or genital, should abstain from being intimate when there's symptoms: 

2. He already has it, so going down on you doesn't make him more likely to get what he already has unless the way he does it is a trigger for an outbreak if that makes sense?

3. I've heard that you're less likely to get whichever HSV simplex you have, at a different spot..but don't hold me to that. I've heard both sides of the spectrum! As long as you both don't have OBs, prodome symptoms, and use protection and/or antivirals the risk is very low. 

Just learn and be aware of your triggers, prodome symptoms, etc and you guys will be ok!

I asked my doctor of this and was told that you can’t get in a new location if u already have it. Only can get if it’s not the same strain. Meaning if u have Hsv1 u still can get Hsv2. I also read this online, however I have read in these forums that it changes happen and u can get it new location. I wished someone would get it right it’s frustrating especially if u ever have to disclose and telling someone the facts.