• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My neg. bf doesn’t want to use condoms

I’ve been dating/talking to a guy for the last 7/8 months. We have had protected sex using condoms and I’m on daily Valtrex. (I have hsv2 and have had for 11 years. No outbreaks while using medication). 

I disclosed at the beginning and he had no issues about it. He brought up not using condoms and I told him the risk goes up from 1 to 2% annually, but it’s still a risk. 

Now he says he doesn’t want to use condoms. I feel kind of conflicted. I hate condoms and would love to have sex without them, but I feel bad. Should I be okay with it because I’ve mentioned the risk multiple times and provided other information? 

2 hours ago, 100918 said:

When my boyfriend said that he didn't want to use condoms (I'm not on suppressive therapy, but do not get outbreaks), as long as I'm not ovulating, we go bare. I have made the risks known to him, and he is willing to take them. 

Thank you! How long have you been together? Any advice to prevent transmission other than Valtrex 

Just now, crookshankshey said:

Thank you! How long have you been together? Any advice to prevent transmission other than Valtrex 

Only two months. I don't have any advice on how to prevent except to avoid sex when you feel an oubreak coming or if you currently have an outbreak. 

You have informed him of the risks. Hopefully he’s done a little research on his own as well. My boyfriend and I have been together for 8 months and have sex usually 2-3 times a week. I disclosed on the 2nd date, he did his own research. I take my medications religiously and even though I was okay and happy to use condoms, he had the ultimate say. At the end of the day, the risk is there. He contracted HSV2 from me and is experiencing his first OB. I haven’t had an OB since my first(Oct 2017)and rarely ever a twinge.  Hello asymptotic shedding. It makes me sad and brings up feelings of shame, despite him being an absolute angel about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been with my bf for 5 months and we have sex most days than not. It was his choice to not where condoms after our first few times. I even recently brought the subject back up so he knows the risks and it doesn't bother him. I'm on suppressive therapy and will never want to come off it until there is ever a cure.