• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Should I get tested for herpes?

Hi everyone, and thanks for the add! I have been reading on here for months now, but haven't quite found the answers I am looking for....and I am not sure if it will be here :/ First off I want to say that I DO NOT have herpes (that I am aware of). I was living with a man who does. We were together for 5 months and he had 2 outbreaks in that time (right at the beginning, before I moved in actually). Anyway, I always struggled to get him to sleep with me. He was very hot and cold, even without an outbreak. He said that it actually hurts to have sex?? Is this a common problem, or more likely to be part of the mental trauma of it all for him (he has had it for many years, would not say how long)?? He did say he had issues with finishing because of the mental trauma it causes him, but with us, he only had that problem the first time...and never again. Now, he never took anything to control it, and we never used protection......it was never brought up. We were planning on a long life together (until he went from hot to cold in a matter of 5 hours while he was at work and I haven't heard from him in 6 weeks), so I wasn't concerned. It hasn't been 2 months since we last had sex, should I go and get tested anyway? I wont be sleeping with anyone again so that's not the issue, just maybe peace of mind because I haven't had any symptoms and don't expect I have it. Anyway, looking forward to some input here :)

I would get tested. Explain the situation to your doctor and specifically ask for a blood test that tests for antibodies, and is typed for HSV1 and HSV2. The Western Blot test is the gold standard, according to my doctor.

Even if you had sex with a condom, you would still be at risk of contracting herpes. Since you didn't use protection, your risk is increased.

The virus can lie dormant for a long time before an outbreak, or can just lie dormant forever and you are an asymptomatic carrier. Get tested! If only for your peace of mind :)

Hi,

yep you should get tested only to make sure that you not one of the asymptomatic carier but usually you will see the antibodys in you bloodtest after 6 month , so maybe you should wait a bit longer to make sure you get the right result.

I guess he had problems to finish it because he was afraid of contracting the virus to you.

People with herpes are always paranoid about this kind of things , its always in our mind....and sure we dont wanne give it to somebody else but the chances are really low on that.Have a good day

Thank you :) Yes, I am booked in tomorrow for a test and then will redo in a few more months I think. He only didn't finish once with me, but he did tell me he can't because he would be scared of passing it onto someone he loves......well, he had no problem finishing.......anyway, that's another story. thank you

The Western Blot is the gold standard when it comes to herpes blood tests. It's less ubiquitous than the IgG test, but definitely the best. I've heard of quite a few false positives and false negatives with the IgG test.

http://herpeslife.com/the-herpes-test/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Came back positive for hsv1. I don't recall ever having coldsores. I dont know what type he has. He wouldn't say but got angry with me for even testing because I would have had to have asked specifically for a herpes test. Anyway, that all ended badly and now I am in a position that although I know it came back at hsv1, I dont know where I am infected. I have had some terrible feelings down south on and off since August but no blisters, just pain, stinging and burning. All I do know is I will never get an answer from him, just abuse because he wont face it himself and I just have to sit back and 'wait' for some sort of sign to tell me where this thing is. Can you ve infected with both types?

Ah, yes, I think you have him nailed. His anger seems to be coming from still wanting to be in denial about having herpes, so he takes it out on you for being that person to remind him of his own pain.

If you have been feeling differently down south, then it sounds like you do have HSV-1 genitally. And to answer your question, yes, you can have both HSV-1 and HSV-2 at the same time.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Yes, if you have HSV-1 genitally, it shows up genitally. The difference is the rate of viral shedding (genital HSV-1 sheds less than genital HSV-2) and the amount of outbreaks you have is less. If you have HSV-1 genitally, then you wouldn't have cold sores around the face. You can, however have HSV-1 both orally and genitally. HSV-2 mostly (99% of the time) only camps out in the genital region.

Here are some articles to get all knowledged up! :)

http://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes/

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Helpful resources: