• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Contracted HSV orally and genitally

Hi everyone, 

Long story short, my boyfriend of 9 months had a cold sore and we had sexual intercourse, including oral. This all happened on a Sunday. Fast forward to Thursday and I begin to experience a burning sensation in my vagina. I initially think it’s a UTI (not too concerned). We are beginning to go out to dinner Thursday night and as I am putting make up on I see a bump on my lip. Come Saturday I have a full blown cold sore on my lip and the symptoms in my vagina are getting worse. Since it’s the weekend, and my insurance is shit, I used telemedicine to get diagnosed. I was diagnosed with genital herpes, but it was not specified as to which kind. I have an appointment with my OBGYN, but have not been yet. 

Basically, I am curious as to whether or not it is possible that I contracted HSV1 on BOTH my lip and vagina? Also, since my boyfriend gave it to me via cold sore, what are the chances he could get it genitally? 

I am very new to this, so if anyone could also break down the stages of outbreak that would be great. Not sure what to expect and how long to expect it. 

Thanks in advance! 

1st and foremost, you need to get a swab test asap! I strongly recommend this now because if you get tested by blood, you may get a negative result since you body is still building antibodies from this recent infection.  lets say that your boyfriend has HSV1 which is definitely most common on the lips, well you may have contracted the virus on your genitals and in your mouth.  Since the virus is new to your body, it attacked both places.  I want you to stay relaxed.  HSV1 is less aggressive in the genitals, I contracted it 1 yr ago and so far I only had my first outbreak.  Thank god.

• Thanks 1