• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes transmission rate

Statistics says when we are not having any symptoms that time we are having virus shedding for 10% of the time. Also transmission rate without any medication and protection is 8-10%. With antivirals it becomes 4% and with protection 2% for male to female and 1% for female to male. But then most of us had got infected by a single unprotected sex. So are we the unlucky ones to fall in this low rate of transmission category or the statistic is not as authentic as it claims to be? 

Hey @hope27,

Great question! There's a lot wrapped up in those transmission rate numbers, including whether the one who doesn't have herpes is male or female (more mucous membrane on vaginas vs. penises means there's a higher transmission rates to females than males), the relative strength of both partners' respective immune systems, the location of outbreaks, whether it's HSV-1 or HSV-2, and whether the person who has herpes is aware that they have it (80-90% of folks who have herpes don't know it). That last piece is where that seeming discrepancy lies that you point out (if the transmission rate is so low, then why do so many people have it and how did I get it?). This is precisely why I believe the first line of defense against spreading herpes is knowing you have it and communicating with partners about it. If you're oblivious that you have genital herpes, then you're much less likely to abstain from sex if you feel some prodrome symptoms coming on.

And don't be so quick to assign yourself as unlucky, though — that's a trick of the mind that can create some unfortunate self-fulfilling prophecies. Drop that quick. 😉 Sometimes random things happen. And we get to grow through whatever life gives us. 

And for anyone else wanting to get clear on the specifics about transmission rates, here's a link to download the fact sheets here (along with the free disclosure e-book) to get a good overview of everything:
https://herpesopportunity.com/free-ebook-signup.html 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@mr_hopp Thanks Adrial for sharing this. It's still my first month since when I have found out I have got this new companion for rest of my life and trying to make peace with it. And you know better than all of us how this life changing experience can be. And last but not the least, thanks for creating this platform. This is the only place where I can come and share my feelings, ask questions and educate myself. This platform has been a true life saver for me. I really don't know what I would have done if I haven't found this forum. God bless and more power to all of us 🙂

• Like 4
  • mr_hopp changed the title to Herpes transmission rate