• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV-2 for 5 years. Just started getting cold sores

This post is mostly about cold sores. I have HSV-2 as well, but it has not caused me any trouble lately. I am really struggling with becoming recently infected with cold sores, though. It appears that I now have both HSV types 😞

I was diagnosed with HSV-2 at the beginning of 2014 during an extremely painful/traumatic initial genital outbreak. At the time the sores were swabbed and I had a blood test. Swab was positive for HSV-2, blood test was negative. Several weeks later, I redid the blood test and it was positive for HSV-2, so I knew it was a recent infection. This test also showed that I was negative for HSV-1.

Since then, I have taken generic valtrex 1 g daily as suppressive therapy. I haven't had any subsequent outbreaks. 

I met my husband about 10 months after my HSV-2 diagnosis. By that time I had disclosed to a few people successfully, and had mostly come to terms with it. 

My husband was tested and was negative for HSV-2 but positive for HSV-1, although he has never had cold sores. 

About a month ago, I developed a cold sore on my lip. It was extremely painful. It did not get too big and did not blister or ulcerate, which I assume is because of the valtrex I'm already taking. However, it never fully went away and I've been having terrible nerve pain/symptoms (lightening bolts, tingling, numbness, etc) in my lips since then. These symptoms will go away for a day or two, but always return. I also have a red spot on my lip that has not healed. 

Today, the red spot started getting more inflamed and I'm experiencing a lot of pain in that exact area, so I believe I'm having a second cold sore in less than a month. 

I'm really struggling with this. I am embarrassed to have this on my face and have to go to work/interact with people. I feel more like a leper than I ever did with genital herpes, because at least then I could decide who got to know. But the worst part is that I feel totally helpless and out of control. I am already on valtrex, which has worked wonderfully for genital herpes, but doesn't seem to be inhibiting cold sores. I have tried almost everything I have read about treating/preventing them (L-Lysine, vitamin C, zinc, Abreva, Campho-phenique, Compeed Cold Sore Patches, etc), I do yoga almost every day to manage stress, I rarely drink alcohol, and I have essentially cut out foods high in arginine. 

I don't know what else I can try. I feel like I can't escape this. I am embarrassed every time I go anywhere, constantly in pain, and just mentally worn out from this. I know that stress only makes it worse, so I am trying to keep my stress levels low, but I don't know what else I can do.

It sounds like a newly acquired HSV 1 infection...your body just needs some time to adapt to tame it down. Also, what seems like a huge embarrassing spot to you most likely isn’t too noticeable to others. Be kind to yourself ❤️

Give your system a chance to adapt...from what I’ve read, I believe it takes your body a few months to build up anti-bodies. It kept your HSV2 in check, it will keep this one in check too! 

Also, just a natural remedy (if your brave enough 😬 ) 91% alcohol on a q-tip...hold it there for 30 seconds a couple times a day. I’ve recently done it to a ghsv2 small spot and it STUNG but then almost instantly (within a day) healed. I know I’ve read that alcohol does not do anything except burn but some people swear by it...worth a shot 🤷🏻‍♀️