• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Non stop outbreaks

I was diagnosed with herpes in march. I knew very little about it. But looking back I had an undiagnosed infection down there almost ten years ago which came with flu like symptoms. I had to be signed off work for 2 weeks. I now think this could have been the initial outbreak.  

Fast forward to this year, I saw the Dr for what I thought were reoccurring yeast infections. It was herpes type 1. This was mid march and it lasted about a week. It was very painful. I didn't get any medication as by the time I saw the Dr, the outbreak was clearing up. 

On the 6th April I had the intense itching and the next day the outbreak started. It was better for a day before the cycle started all over again. It cleared up late into last week and then yesterday the itching came back. Today it's painful again. I'm sure it feels like there's a blister or a sore but haven't looked as of yet. 

Is this normal? I got aclivor to take, 800mg three times a day for 3 days. I have just finished the course yesterday so it clearly hasn't worked. Feeling a bit down as I'm usually super active and this has made even walking sore. New to this so any tips on helping relieve the symptoms much appreciated. 

Thanks 🙂

Hi there. I have had this God awful disease for about 11 years now. The first year I would get  typical outbreak with a sore that would scab over and heal. This would happen every few months so I decided to go on suppressive therapy, acyclovir 400mg 2x a day. This worked wonders for 8 years and then suddenly stopped working. I would get what felt like a yeast infection every month during the week of ovulation, not a typical outbreak, but worse. The pain and itching internal was so bad I could barely walk during this time. Finally in January I told my doctor I want to change my medication to 1g of valacyclovir daily. It has helped so much better but there are a day or so where I feel a mild itch or pain but it will subside. I would get on that medication and see how you do. I thought the virus is supposed to get better the longer you have it 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you for your reply, Ash. I went to the Dr today. She's given me more of the same medication. I asked about other meds but she said she wasn't sure if this was herpes as it's not "typical" of the infection to have so many outbreaks in a row after years of nothing. This contradicts what I've read on here? So she's referred me to the hospital. She also tested for other sti's as she thinks it could be something else. But apart from the itching and soreness, I have no other symptoms. Feel at a loss now. 😔

I truly believe when it comes to this virus, the people who have it are way more knowledgeable than the doctors.  I feel like they only have information from outdated medical books. And no one cares to do enough research on a vaccine or cure because this virus isn’t deadly however I don’t think that doctors in general realize how much most of us suffer from this. It’s so frustrating! My symptoms have definitely not been typical for the past year until this past January when the infection was so bad that if I used a mirror to look at the inside of my vagina you could see sores. That is when I had enough, after a year of hell despite acyclovir. My PC was better at prescribing the 1g of valacyclovir than my GYNO. I ended up going to the gynecologist back in August because it had been eight months of hell once a month for a week to the point where I could not walk and he switched me to 500mg of valacyclovir when I told him that would not work. I have done my research and that is typically use for people who have nine or if you were outbreaks a year, and already I had one a month for eight months. I tried that for a couple of months and sure enough the week of ovulation I would get the symptoms. Then in October I decided to take two of the 500 mg and that was the only month that I was symptom and outbreak free. So in January I called my primary care and she prescribed 1g of that and things have been a lot better but I’m still super paranoid, I feel like every itch or feeling down there is the start of something and it makes my anxiety spiral out of control. It doesn’t make sense that after all these years the virus would get worse, when all I’ve read is that it supposed to get better. All I can think about is the future and I’m dreading it, growing old and suffering from this, ending up in some sort of a nursing home and hospital because I can’t care for myself and just being in constant pain and discomfort. I would see what the hospital says, maybe get another opinion from a different doctor. Tell them you want to go on the 1g of valacyclovir and fight for yourself as a patient.  This thing can be truly debilitating at times. Good luck! 

• Like 1
On 4/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, ash128083 said:

Hi there. I have had this God awful disease for about 11 years now. The first year I would get  typical outbreak with a sore that would scab over and heal. This would happen every few months so I decided to go on suppressive therapy, acyclovir 400mg 2x a day. This worked wonders for 8 years and then suddenly stopped working. I would get what felt like a yeast infection every month during the week of ovulation, not a typical outbreak, but worse. The pain and itching internal was so bad I could barely walk during this time. Finally in January I told my doctor I want to change my medication to 1g of valacyclovir daily. It has helped so much better but there are a day or so where I feel a mild itch or pain but it will subside. I would get on that medication and see how you do. I thought the virus is supposed to get better the longer you have it 😒

Thank you for sharing..I see a lot of peoples posts of people that have had it for a few years but not long enough to give some really good advice on if the outbreaks really do get better.

I'm beginning to think this anti body thing is a load of rubbish. Why would you keep getting outbreaks even that long with it being in your system and your body still can't fight off the sores from forming.

I totally agree, I feel like medical staff don't understand the severity of it. If only they could experience the pain and the toll it takes over your life so them then to take it more seriously.

One guy who couldn't take his health seriously has affected the rest of my life and he gets to walk freely without any conscience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, Anonymous88 said:

Thank you for sharing..I see a lot of peoples posts of people that have had it for a few years but not long enough to give some really good advice on if the outbreaks really do get better.

I'm beginning to think this anti body thing is a load of rubbish. Why would you keep getting outbreaks even that long with it being in your system and your body still can't fight off the sores from forming.

I totally agree, I feel like medical staff don't understand the severity of it. If only they could experience the pain and the toll it takes over your life so them then to take it more seriously.

One guy who couldn't take his health seriously has affected the rest of my life and he gets to walk freely without any conscience.

I am so sorry. It’s sad that people are so careless. I contribute getting this to being young and naive and not educated on STDS. I believed the person that I was with and then my life was ruined. This was a time where all of my friends were sleeping around and I didn’t do that. I just got out of an 8year relationship and the next person I was with gave this to me. I don’t even know of it’s type 1 or 2 but it comes out genitally. I’ve asked both my doctors to test the type and they’ve told me it doesn’t matter because the symptoms are the same. But I want to know!   It is so completely frustrating! It had been so long for me and I live a healthy lifestyle, exercising 5x a week, eating healthy, taking vitamins AND antivirals and there are days where I STILL am having discomfort. When I look there are no sores. It makes no sense. Last year at my annual check up my GYNO said it is extremely rare to develop resistance to the antivirals BUT this year at my check up he told me you can develop resistance. Well which is it?! I wish EVERYONE with this infection could band together and protest or SOMETHING to wake up these doctors and scientist so they finally take us serious and REALLY start looking for better medication or a vaccine or a cure. This takes such a toll on ones life both mentally and physically. Theres days where I am so sick of dealing with this that I just want to die. It’s becoming too much.