• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

3 yr history...Swab + , IgG negative

3 years ago I was diagnosed with gHSV-2 via swab. The original “outbreak” was like an ingrown hair and painless. I never had symptoms before that and haven’t had symptoms/outbreaks in the 3 years since.  I was in a long term relationship and disclosed and was easily accepted. That relationship has since ended. I’ve been dating again and have has nothing but success with disclosing to sexual partners, taking acyclovir and using protection. And I will continue to do so.

I recently decided to get bloodwork done (IgG) and just got the results back. It shows ”non-reactive” to HSV-2. 

So one swab test from 3 years ago shows positive and the recent bloodwork shows negative.  Is it possible the original swab was a false positive? Or should I just assume the bloodwork was a false negative? 

Not sure what kind of test they did but when I had my bloodwork done they gave me an index value and the result was "normal range." There are so many different tests on the market but I believe that the most reliable one is the ELISA, which is the one with the index value (other than the Western Blot). I also tested positive via swab but negative for antibodies. My giver tested negative for antibodies as well although I'm not sure what test he took. He definitely gave it to me though.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, Tk2019 said:

Not sure what kind of test they did but when I had my bloodwork done they gave me an index value and the result was "normal range." There are so many different tests on the market but I believe that the most reliable one is the ELISA, which is the one with the index value (other than the Western Blot). I also tested positive via swab but negative for antibodies. My giver tested negative for antibodies as well although I'm not sure what test he took. He definitely gave it to me though.

Tk have you done the WB yet? im curious to see what you or your "giver" would outcome on the Test.

Also was the IGG via ELISA" Herpeselect or Captia", or CLIA "Laison"?

What were your values?

from the other posts i've read about people being swab (+) but igg (-) usually have higher negative scores to begin with. To me, anything over 0.50 is a high neg, and anything in the .90 range is almost equivocal

Also if its a Glycoprotein (G-deficiant) strain one has, the WB should pick up the other viral capsule antigens (IgE. IgD. IgB) exct... 

15 hours ago, sadguy2019 said:

Tk have you done the WB yet? im curious to see what you or your "giver" would outcome on the Test.

Also was the IGG via ELISA" Herpeselect or Captia", or CLIA "Laison"?

What were your values?

from the other posts i've read about people being swab (+) but igg (-) usually have higher negative scores to begin with. To me, anything over 0.50 is a high neg, and anything in the .90 range is almost equivocal

Also if its a Glycoprotein (G-deficiant) strain one has, the WB should pick up the other viral capsule antigens (IgE. IgD. IgB) exct... 

I haven't done the WB because I can't afford it. My IgG was .53 and I took it 9 weeks after exposure. So that was an acute infection. I don't know what his values were because he wouldn't tell me. Don't know when he would have been exposed either but it would have had to have been recently. I'm not sure what test he took either. He stopped talking to me because I have herpes (which I'm 150% sure he gave to me).

6 hours ago, Tk2019 said:

I haven't done the WB because I can't afford it. My IgG was .53 and I took it 9 weeks after exposure. So that was an acute infection. I don't know what his values were because he wouldn't tell me. Don't know when he would have been exposed either but it would have had to have been recently. I'm not sure what test he took either. He stopped talking to me because I have herpes (which I'm 150% sure he gave to me).

The WB was so expensive, but added value to my continuously (neg) results. It was one of the hardest things I did on my own, I was scared because there is an 8% chance that IgG tests are false neg,

your value of .53 is a "high" negative to me. My value before the WB, was 0.09 for HSV2 and 0.02 for HSV1 via Clia immunoassay IgG at 10 months past exposure, really low numbers.

Looking at past posts, many that have been IgG neg but swab (+) have also been on hsv suppressants for extended periods of time. 

Sorry to hear that some idiot ghosted you, maybe he was scared of getting tested and facing truth, 

• Like 1

A "high" negative is a negative. I already know I have hsv 2 because i had an outbreak and had it swabbed. The point is that blood tests cannot detect the virus, they only measure your body's immune system to it. That's why my giver thinks he isn't the one that gave it to me, because he didnt have any antibodies at the time. There is no need for me to have WB because I had an outbreak. Anti-virals suppress the virus, not antibodies.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tk2019 said:

A "high" negative is a negative. I already know I have hsv 2 because i had an outbreak and had it swabbed. The point is that blood tests cannot detect the virus, they only measure your body's immune system to it. That's why my giver thinks he isn't the one that gave it to me, because he didnt have any antibodies at the time. There is no need for me to have WB because I had an outbreak. Anti-virals suppress the virus, not antibodies.

by no means im i trying to contradict you, or throw shade.  or asking you to "get a WB" was just curious to see if you had one at all to compare to your swab. that is all 

My last 2 swabs came up neg, in addition to 3 IgG's, and a most recent WB. Everyone tells me to move on, think i might. cause this searching for something thats not even there is really getting old, and im exhausted 😕 

No I get what you're saying, just there's not much point in me getting a WB done for myself because I already know I have it. Theres very little margin for false positives on a swab test, although it CAN happen. It may benefit my giver or anyone with conflicting diagnoses to have one.

Personally I have had no issues on acyclovir and have come to terms with having it, although the circumstances surrounding how I got really hurt my feelings and put me in a deep depression at first.