• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Lysine or virus suppressants?

Hi everyone -

I'm finally at the end of this first OB for over a month, and was wondering if I should continue on a lower dose of the anti-viral meds or just use lysine? I just ordered 1000 MG, but it appears from a little research that just the Lysine is pretty effective? It seems like some take it every day, and others when they feel an OB coming on --

Any experience with just taking Lysine?

Thanks so much for any information!

Scout

Lysine works for some people so you can try it if you want. It didn't do much for me when I was first diagnosed. I found the antivirals much more effective. 

Keep in mind that lysine has been studied, but only in very small studies and retrospective record reviews, they have not been evaluated in high enrolling, randomized clinical trials like antivirals have. 

If lysine supplements work for you, that is great. It is generally safe to take daily, but it can cause gallstones and elevated cholesterol, so it's not the best option if you have high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or heart disease.