• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Flesh colored lesions?

Can herpes present as small flesh colored lesions on a non red base? I had this happen on my glans and they weren’t pearly papules because I know about those. These flesh colored bumps appeared after self stimulation and disappeared in less than 2 days, but followed up with internal pain for two more days.  

There are a lot of things this could be, which you already know, because I am sure you have spent time on Google. 

I don't know what the bumps are, but if they appeared after masturbation and disappeared quickly, my suspicion is that normal structures (whether part of your lymph system or other glands in the penis) were aggravated, swelled, and then went down. But obviously no one on the internet can diagnose you.

If you had a herpes diagnosis, I would be more inclined to think this could be an atypical presentation of herpes (but I would still not be convinced that it was herpes). But as far as I have seen in your posts, you do not have a diagnosis and your doctors are not highly suspicious that you have herpes. 

I think it is interesting that you're able to dismiss one possible explanation because your bumps didn't meet one of the criteria, but you're unwilling to accept that it's not herpes even though if it were herpes the presentation would be quite atypical.

I have herpes. I had a typical primary outbreak and subsequent symptoms that were consistent with herpes. I've had a positive IgG blood test and a positive swab, so I know I have herpes. For a while I thought that every little tingle or itch or bump down there was herpes, so I get this inclination. But not everything is herpes. Even in someone who has confirmed she has herpes, most of the time what I experience down there *isn't* herpes. 

I don't know how much longer you have to wait until you can have a blood test done to get a diagnosis, but my suggestion would be to abstain from sex (or disclose) and try to take your mind off this until you actually know. Unless you have very clear herpes symptoms (ie, a blistering lesion) or uncomfortable symptoms that last for more than a week, is it doing you any good to focus on every itch, tingle, swelling, etc down there? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, tiredandlonely said:

There are a lot of things this could be, which you already know, because I am sure you have spent time on Google. 

I don't know what the bumps are, but if they appeared after masturbation and disappeared quickly, my suspicion is that normal structures (whether part of your lymph system or other glands in the penis) were aggravated, swelled, and then went down. But obviously no one on the internet can diagnose you.

If you had a herpes diagnosis, I would be more inclined to think this could be an atypical presentation of herpes (but I would still not be convinced that it was herpes). But as far as I have seen in your posts, you do not have a diagnosis and your doctors are not highly suspicious that you have herpes. 

I think it is interesting that you're able to dismiss one possible explanation because your bumps didn't meet one of the criteria, but you're unwilling to accept that it's not herpes even though if it were herpes the presentation would be quite atypical.

I have herpes. I had a typical primary outbreak and subsequent symptoms that were consistent with herpes. I've had a positive IgG blood test and a positive swab, so I know I have herpes. For a while I thought that every little tingle or itch or bump down there was herpes, so I get this inclination. But not everything is herpes. Even in someone who has confirmed she has herpes, most of the time what I experience down there *isn't* herpes. 

I don't know how much longer you have to wait until you can have a blood test done to get a diagnosis, but my suggestion would be to abstain from sex (or disclose) and try to take your mind off this until you actually know. Unless you have very clear herpes symptoms (ie, a blistering lesion) or uncomfortable symptoms that last for more than a week, is it doing you any good to focus on every itch, tingle, swelling, etc down there? 

Thanks for your reply. All my symptoms started after an unprotected encounter, which I didn’t consent to. I actually did have uncomfortable really painful symptoms lasting almost 7 weeks with a rash and it responded to antivirals. I was literally in a fetal position for two of those weeks. My doctor I feel is very uneducated on the subject. After this month I’ll be at 16 weeks. Then I’ll blood test again. If it’s negative again then I still won’t believe it because all the inconsistencies and variables. This is a wild ride!

I've read your other posts, and it does not appear that you have experienced any typical herpes symptoms. Pain and inflammation in the genital area is not explicitly indicative of herpes. 

I am really sorry that you experienced sex that was not consensual; that must have been very traumatic. Have you talked to anyone about this, or worked through these feelings. Many people who are diagnosed with herpes experience trauma and betrayal, and this contributes significantly to the mental anguish that accompanies a diagnosis. I wonder if the regret and pain over this sexual encounter is contributing to the awful experience you are having now.

Herpes can have atypical presentation, so I'm not saying that you don't have herpes; I'm just wondering why you are fixating on herpes, when your symptoms could just as likely be caused by other things. 

You mention that your symptoms improved with antivirals, but is it possible that this was a coincidence or placebo effect (placebo effect is very real)? Is it possible that your symptoms are exacerbated by anxiety?

You have also mentioned that you are from the Bay Area. You are in a very densely populated area with access to many doctors. I don't understand why you would limit yourself to a doctor who you feel is very uneducated on the subject. Find another doctor who takes you seriously and tries to get to the bottom of your issues and get you a diagnosis. 

If you area tested with Western Blot and you are negative I do hope you will believe the results. You say there are inconsistencies and variables, but I don't really get what you mean by that. While it's clear that you have *something* going on, if the Western Blot is negative, it's almost definitely not herpes, and you should focus your energy on finding the real diagnosis and treatment to get you feeling better. 

Also, if you say you still won't believe a highly reliable blood test, why bother getting it at all? If you are so sure you have herpes, why not just go on antivirals? They are easy enough to get.

To be blunt, it seems like you are paralyzed by anxiety. This isn't a criticism. I have a generalized anxiety disorder with OCD tendencies and I take medication and go to therapy to manage it - so I get it. 

But this is what you are saying: you have ongoing symptoms, you think everything is herpes (it's not - even if you have herpes, not everything you experience will be herpes), you are not seeking out opinions or treatments from other doctors, and it sounds like you're going down a rabbit hole on the internet reading about herpes symptoms and you are basically trying to convince yourself that you have herpes. 

If you don't trust your doctor, you have to find another one. Regardless of whether or not you have herpes, you should be able to talk to your doctor about your symptoms and have someone who is advocating for you and helping you both treat your symptoms and get a proper diagnosis. Good luck.