• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Repeat HSV2 IGG Equivocal, lower index

Hi!

I left a relationship and got tested. HSV-2 IGG came out being 1.01 equivocal and 6 weeks later a retest at 0.95 equivocal

For reference they say <0.9 negative, .9-1.10 equivocal, >1.10 positive

1. How do I interpret these results? Negative, positive, naturally high for me as an individual, still undecided?

2. Is it good the index went down or does that not mean anything?

3. Why back to back equivocal results and not a hard negative or positive the second time?

Thank you!

1. Still undecided. I would get a Western Blot to confirm.

2. It doesn't mean anything that the index went down - especially by such a small amount. Both values are equivocal and mean the same thing.

3. The IgG test for HSV-2 is sensitive, but it only tests for one protein (IgG) associated with HSV-2 antibodies. The Western Blot is a more looks for all proteins associated with the HSV-2 virus. It's possible that you have a different herpes virus (HSV-1, EBV, CMV) that crossreacted with the IgG test for HSV-2, or that you have HSV-2, but not enough of the specific protein that the IgG tests for. 

• Thanks 1

Even if you don't have HSV-1, if you had chicken pox as a kid, if you were exposed to mono (EBV), or if you carry cytomegalovirus (CMV) like many people do, those are all herpes viruses and those antibodies can potentially cross-react.

Also, IgG for HSV-1 is not nearly as reliable as it is for HSV-2. The test misses up to 30% of infections when compared to Western Blot. If you don't have symptoms, you shouldn't worry about this - it's just FYI. 

• Thanks 1

No chicken pox, fairly certain never exposed to mono unless recently, and no CMV unless recent exposure.  I see elsehwere online what you said about HSV-1.

On the topic of 2x equivocal HSV-2 results I never had any of the symptoms at all but I know some people never show them.

How is going with your tests? Your case interests me a lot sinces seems similar in "low" numbers. Can I ask you how and where (geographically) did you catch it? I sometimes feel I got a "new" strain 'cause don't have great outbreaks but my glans skin changed constantly (like tiny fordyce bumps I didn't notice before) and some mild tingling now and then but no crust or severe pain or itching.

these are my blood tests results:

One month and half after exposure
Blood test seeking HSV2 IGG, result: 0.50 (still negative).

14 weeks after exposure
Blood test HSV2 IGG, result: value 1 (equivocal).

6 months after exposure
Third blood test seeking HSV2 IGG, result: positive (different clinic test from previous test where no value was given).

9 months after exposure
Fourth blood test seeking HSV2 IGG, result: 0.90 (weird ’cause it seems lower than previous tests).

One year after exposure
A fifth (and last test for now) at the same clinic of third test (where no numbers are given) confirmed the positive HSV2 IGG status.