• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Best Antiviral/pharmaceutical company?

Been awhile; I have HSV-2. Was on suppressive therapy with Mylan pharm Valtrex and it worked great. No symptoms but a couple prodome. Moved and took Camber Valcyclovir and it doesn’t work at all. Like AT ALL. Having a hard time getting Mylan around her. Haven’t taken anything really for a year as it doesn’t work, and it seems I have almost constant irritation or itchiness. Don’t want to go back to suppressive therapy or on meds at all but I will. What works for you all?

Hi there, 

i was also recently put on camber and it’s the only one Ive ever used,  since seeing your post, I must agree that my symptoms have not reduced since beginning this medication, I thought it was just my body but I guess it may just be the company. Have you tried taking acyclovir or something instead? I’m nervous about the price being a lot higher depending on the brand. 

Would also like others insight!

• Thanks 1

Acyclovir has worked great for me over the years. I take it in the morning and evening, so not as convenient as taking a once-daily valtrex, but definitely more affordable. Check out online pharmacy options offered by places like Walmart or Walgreens for super cheap prices, especially when you buy a 3 month supply all at once. Do you live in the US?

• Thanks 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks for the insight guys! I thought I was nuts, but I notice zero difference with the Camber valcyclovir. I’m surprised someone else has experienced this too. I originally thought I became immune to Valtrex; never did it occur to me that it could be a change in medicine until recently!

Yes I am in the US! East coast. Do they allow those with HSV-2 to take Acyclovir? I for some reason thought it was targeted for those with HSV-1! That’s great to hear it’s cheap. I have decent insurance with good prescription coverage as well.

I honestly think my issues are stemming from stress..and if I do anything to exasterbate it, even if my symptoms have subsided for the day (have sex, wear jeans, or ride my horse); well then I’m a goner! 😐

I prefer to stay away from medicine period, but if I can avoid the almost constant irritation, that would be amazing!

Yes, Acyclovir works for HSV, whether it’s 1 or 2. And I think you hit the nail on the head about stress. That’s a biggie. In fact, anything that puts more strain on your immune system (stress, lack of sleep, poor diet, being in the sun all day, etc.) can give more of an opening for herpes, so it’s that much more incentive to live as well as we can. Inner peace and overall health are quite necessary companions in this process. 😉

By the way, here’s an article about medication in general that could be helpful: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/post/herpes-medication

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I didn’t realize that; I will definitely have to look into Acyclovir. I’m pretty good about eating healthy and getting enough sleep. I could be a little more active; some weeks I get to workout/do more than others. Decisions regarding my future is what stresses me out most..I’ll read that article too. Thanks 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, Cwgrl100 said:

Been awhile; I have HSV-2. Was on suppressive therapy with Mylan pharm Valtrex and it worked great. No symptoms but a couple prodome. Moved and took Camber Valcyclovir and it doesn’t work at all. Like AT ALL. Having a hard time getting Mylan around her. Haven’t taken anything really for a year as it doesn’t work, and it seems I have almost constant irritation or itchiness. Don’t want to go back to suppressive therapy or on meds at all but I will. What works for you all?

Hey! I was on acyclovir 400mg 2x a day for 8 years and it was as if I didn’t even have the virus anymore, then, all of a sudden, I started getting horrible outbreaks every month, sometimes multiple times a month and constant prodrome symptoms. It made no sense whatsoever. I switched to valacyclovir 1g once a day in January, and it has helped a lot, but, I still feel irritation/discomfort throughout the month. I checked the manufacturer and it is also Camber. I’m going to ask my pharmacy if they can refill my prescription with the Mylan brand next time and see if that makes any difference like you said. 

I just had the experience of my generic Valacyclovir prescription running out and when it was renewed and refilled it was from Mylan, instead of Cipra, which I'd been using for almost a year with no real problems (and no known outbreak). When I started taking it I almost immediately started having nausea all day, and a week into it I had an outbreak (hsv-1). I talked to the pharmacy about switching back and learned they will no longer do my preferred brand since it's more expensive for them. I'm not going back on the Mylan right now, I can't handle the nausea and my confidence is lowered due to the outbreak, so the pharmacy said I could try another brand. I am still considering switching pharmacies so I can stick to the version that I have had in the past. It looks like it's really possible that different formulations can impact us each differently.

I just sent a message to my doctor asking for a prescription for name brand Valtrex. A few other websites that I have been looking on people have said that generic doesn’t work for them. At this point even if my insurance doesn’t want to cover name brand I will eat the money in order to get a better quality of life than I have right now. Does anyone know how likely it is to become immune I guess you would say to the medication? I thought that it was a really low rate for healthy individuals but it just does not make sense to me that the antivirals would stop working.

I’ve been on Valacyclovir for about two months now and I don’t think it’s working at all. I’ve had more outbreaks than ever before and it does nothing to clear up outbreaks any faster. I also decided to switch to name brand Valtrex until I found out how much it was. We’re talking hundreds of dollars. I think a 30 day supply was in the $600 range. My doctor just sent in a prescription for acyclovir so I’m going to try that and see if it makes a difference. I’ve also been super stressed lately so maybe it’s not the drug at all and just my system but I figure it doesn’t hurt to try something new and see what happens.

Sorry guys; I just saw this!! In my new state, no one can get Mylan brand Valtrex without “corporate approval” and now it’s been like 4-5 weeks and still no update from who tried to get approval 😅 so I tried another brand and it’s actually helping. I’ll update once I go look and see what kind it is! It’s a dark blue pill, but I’m about to go to bed and don’t want to look at the moment! Lol. Goodnight!

• Thanks 1

Hey!! Did you find out what brand you are taking now? I just had 6 good days after a week of a flare up and now I’m starting to feel like its happening all over again 😒 I’m calling my pharmacy to ask for the Mylan brand tomorrow. I cant deal with feeling like every other week I’m about to have an outbreak!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 10:19 PM, Cwgrl100 said:

Sorry guys; I just saw this!! In my new state, no one can get Mylan brand Valtrex without “corporate approval” and now it’s been like 4-5 weeks and still no update from who tried to get approval 😅 so I tried another brand and it’s actually helping. I’ll update once I go look and see what kind it is! It’s a dark blue pill, but I’m about to go to bed and don’t want to look at the moment! Lol. Goodnight!

Any word?