• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anyone had luck with any Valacylovir or Acyclovir or anything else for HSV-2?

Hey all,
I've been experimenting since October with different doses of Valacyclovir. I initially did 1000mg 2x per day for 7 days but it was already about a month into my "outbreak". I put it in quotes since I have not had any physically showing symptoms, but the internal pain has been pretty bad at times.

If I could go back in time though, I would have started taking it immediately when I found out, or maybe even precautionary if my doctor would have let me. I'm wondering if my symptoms are lasting forever because I didn't start right away.

I tried taking 500mg 2x/day for about a month, then upped it again to 1000mg/day for a couple of weeks. Then I just came back down to 500mg once a day for the last couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to do anything for me. I'll feel a little bit better for a couple of days, but the thigh burning, suprapubic groin-pinching feeling along with all over itchiness seems to come back. Especially after a weekend of having a few drinks.

The itchiness was weird because I can feel it all over from head-to-toe. I decided to switch to Acyclovir 400mg 2x per day just to see if there's any difference in symptoms. I'm also trying out some Claritin that can maybe curb the itchiness.

I tried Gabapentin for the nerve pain, but I only took one dose and I didn't like the way I felt on it. I feel like it's basically just programming your brain to experience pain differently and I don't really like that idea. But who knows, I guess it depends on how bad it gets.

I just can't believe I've been dealing with symptoms for about 9 months. I wouldn't even care that much if I could just feel normal for awhile again.

I find it interesting that these are the only 2 treatments known for people with herpes and no one has responded as to how either has one worked for them. I wonder where all of the other people infected with the virus end up? They say 572,000 people are infected with HSV-2 every year, and yet there are only a handful of us are talking about it. Are we just the unlucky few that it sucks this bad for, or is everyone else just dealing with it in other ways? You would think this forum would be full of questions every day at that rate. This was more of a rant than anything, so thanks for reading, but really, where is everybody else?

@Bloomer Yea, at this point he's pretty much willing to let me try whatever I want. The Acyclovir seems to be working better than the Valacyclovir, as I haven't had the bad pinching and thigh burning pain after the weekend, but I'm hoping someday I'll feel normal again. I'm trying this out for 30 days to see how it goes.

Have you had luck with that?

I didn't try it unfortunately. Here where I live, the only antiviral available is acyclovir. There is an option to buy it in country near by but I have to have prescription from doctor and he doesn't want to give me one because I am not immunocompromised.🤦‍♀️

If you had success with acyclovir than stick to it for some time.

I know we had discussion about pelvic floor dysfunction and seeing PT but I can't remember what your situation was ? Was your pelvic floor evaluated?