• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I finally just started telling people that I have herpes

Ever since I got my diagnosis, I have been afraid for people to find out that I have herpes. I was afraid of their judgment. I was afraid that they might talk about me behind my back. I had so many fears that people wouldn't want to sit too close or they'd be afraid to use the bathroom at my house. So, I've mostly only told partners and a few trusted friends. But now, I think I'm just getting tired of keeping it a secret- because I'm giving herpes far more power than it deserves. So, a few weeks ago, I finally told my immediate family. I said it as casually as I could, didn't make a big fuss, and answered any questions that they had. And everything was fine. I won't lie- I still worry that people won't like me. And I'd rather be the one to tell another person that I have herpes, rather than someone else. But I think I'm finally starting to be OK with herpes. Just thought I'd share :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm finally starting to tell a few close friends and I've had herpes for almost a year now. It felt very liberating after I told a few close friends and they were very supportive and didn't make a big deal about it. Now, I need to tell my sisters (who are my best friends and I can share anything with them.) Why didn't I tell them earlier? I needed to work on myself first and find love within myself, but now I feel better and stronger about telling my friends and family. It does get better with time...