• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can herpes cause damage to your internal organs like your liver

I think I'm experiencing symptoms of HSV2 and have been feeling tightness in my sides. I already had various issues with my liver and my esophagus, where it felt like I was sitting on my organs or sides were tight, but now there are sharp and dull pains that have started that didn't appear until I started exhibiting HSV2 symptoms. Can HSV2 cause further damage to your organs and if so, can the damage be reversed?

HSV affects the nerves. I don't believe I have read anything about damage to organs. If HSV infects your CNS it can affect your parasympathetic nervous system as well. I got some some autonomic dysfunction for a while after I was infected. The issue is the nerves that run throughout our body are affected and worse at the beginning because we have not developed any defense. You can't be certain of which HSV type that you have until you get a positive test. You could very well have HSV1 which can give you the symptoms you are having. 

3 hours ago, Seeker1960 said:

HSV affects the nerves. I don't believe I have read anything about damage to organs. If HSV infects your CNS it can affect your parasympathetic nervous system as well. I got some some autonomic dysfunction for a while after I was infected. The issue is the nerves that run throughout our body are affected and worse at the beginning because we have not developed any defense. You can't be certain of which HSV type that you have until you get a positive test. You could very well have HSV1 which can give you the symptoms you are having. 

Gotcha. When I asked that question, I was getting ready for my endoscopy. After the procedure, they said that they found mild gastritis in my stomach and were sending it off for a biopsy to check for an infection. If I'm not mistaken, HSV can cause gastritis, right? I got the results from my HSV2 tests, which came back negative, but I know better now than to believe that at face value. Especially with the symptoms I'm exhibiting. Didn't experience the symptoms much most of the day and evening, just a few crackles and itches in a few places. Now its 12 am and the symptoms have begun to pick up a bit and there's more crackles going through my cheekbones and random spots like my nose that are itching. The itching on my scrotum is starting to get real bad, and becoming a little more constant. For a second, I thought my OB was finally calming down, but sadly, I think it was just a brief reprieve.  

I don't know if this is an OB in the true sense. With a typical OB you get Prodrome just before you get lesions or blisters then then they clear up. With atypical HSV like we have it because the active HSV is triggering off our nerves it doesn't go into a latent stage. Eventually you will notice it start to die down as your immune system learns how to defend. It's hard but be patient and monitor your symptoms. You will be able to notice that many gradually or suddenly dissipate. There is no predicting what is going to happen with this. It's not going to be cut an dry that it follows the same path in any two people. You will have to try different things to see what your body best responds to.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:18 PM, Seeker1960 said:

Also, I forgot to ask but wouldn't HSV-1 cause more cold sores? And HSV-2 cause the more serious symptoms like the neuropathic symptoms?

Typically people are infected with HSV1 orally in childhood and get cold sores aka Herpes on their lips or face. However, people can become infected with HSV1 on the genitals via oral sex from an infected person who has oral HSV1 or less commonly through genital to genital contact with a person who has GHSV1.  There are many different strains of each virus some which are more nuero-invasive than others. They both can cause serious symptoms depending on various factors. Mostly they cause irritating and annoying symptoms. HSV is suspected in some cases of causing various intestinal tract issues but again caused by what is does to the nerves.

You cannot assume that you have HSV2 without a confirmatory test. You could have either type. The person that infected me had both and I only got HSV1. Lucky me.

Thanks for clearing that up, that actually helps explain some things. She also gave me oral sex, so it's definitely possible. I'm sorry this happened to you. You are stronger than me, I am not in a good place mentally. So what is the difference between HSV1, GHSV1, HSV2, and GHSV2?