• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valtrex causing more symptoms/OB?

Just met someone who I'm interested in dating, starting taking valtrex 500mg daily, (whereas before was not taking anything and have not had any OB since my initial), and now I'm getting prodromes like crazy and feel an OB coming on.

I have heard this happening with others who begin taking it after previously not, and experiencing the same thing..

I also have read stories that for people who breakout all the time, valtrex has been a life saver

So my question is, if I'm not taking Valtrex and get no breakouts/hardly ever any prodrome, am I more/just as contagious than when I am taking valtrex and getting breakouts?

WTF!??

My gut tells me that the obvious thing to do is stop taking the Valtrex...

But I don't want to put a partner at risk. My overall experience has been fortunately very mild.

Can anyone weigh in on their thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks community

Hi there, I recently went through something similar. I was diagnosed in June, took 1000mg of valtrex twice a day for 10 days. I had no prodromes previously but once I started the valtrex i had prodrome out the wazoo. Zings/stings/tingles all the time! It really improved when I lowered to the suppressive dosage (500ng daily, what you're on) with only an occasional feeling. I did attempt to switch to acyclovir to see if that would help. A few ladies on here have switched to acyclovir and their prodromes stopped completely and they've done great with it. I attempted it for two weeks and I ended up with more prodrome than the valtrex suppressive dose plus other strange side effects. So, I went back to valtrex. That goes to show every one reacts differently to the meds! You could try switching to acyclovir 400mg twice a day and see if that stops the prodromes