• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 after HSV1?

I was diagnosed with genital HSV1 over 3 years ago. After the initial outbreak, which was pretty bad, I had one a couple months later, which was very mild with only like 2 sores, and I had 2 more since then, about one per year with just one sore showing up. And each time, I started taking Valtrex and it was basically gone in a day or two.

So I started having sex with a new partner back in March of this year, and he had never been tested for HSV anything, as he had had no symptoms, and even knowing better, I didn't think much of it being an issue in that case. I guess I still didn't realize or consider so many people can be completely asymptomatic.

I started looking into it again because just this week, I've had the worst outbreak of my life lol. I don't have ALL of the sickness feelings that went along with my initial outbreak, but there's about a million of the sores and I've had a headache the first couple days and it's making me paranoid about the chances of having contracted HSV2 on top of it. I had the prodrome symptoms leading up to it and should have started taking the Valtrex then, but I just wasn't sure it was actually an outbreak.

Does anyone have any experience with that? Does it just sound like a bad outbreak? Is that typical with HSV1 out of nowhere? I have been pretty stressed out lately. Is that how HSV2 would present if it was an "initial" outbreak after having HSV1 first? CAN they even be contracted in the same area? lol this is confusing to me, and I'm not sure how much it matters since I already have HSV1...I just know it's been very mild to me and easy to deal with, and I'm worried about dealing with it on a more regular basis if it was HSV2. I guess it's still in my mind that HSV1 is the "good" one to have lol.

IF it was HSV2 on top of it, would I have to expect more outbreaks, or should the HSV1 act with some level of immunity?

I know everyone's different. I'm mostly just curious about any experiences with this.

My partner is getting tested, but he couldn't get in for a few more weeks. And we were in no rush, what with nobody having symptoms. But now here I am, obsessing over the possibilities lol.