• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Feel like my life is over!

I am currently abroad in a foreign country and while I have been here for the last six weeks I have been having a casual relationship with a local guy. Since sleeping with him I have developed what appears to be a classic case of genital herpes (I have all of the symptoms). Access to sexual health checks is not easy here and therefore I haven’t been able to get a diagnosis but I have spoke to a close family friend who is a nurse practitioner and she advised me to start the Aciclovir treatment which I have. I now don’t know whether to speak to the guy about it and find out if he has it but I am scared of the answer in case he knew he had it and did not tell me! I am also worried about his reaction in case he thinks I am dirty or he gets angry with me. It would be a difficult conversation to have given that I don’t know him well enough to know how he will react but also a language barrier and a lack of education in this country about sexual health. He still wants to see me while I am here but I keep making excuses to avoid him so that I do not end up in a situation where he wants to have sex.

I feel like I have ruined my life and I don’t see me ever having the future I thought I would have. I dont think I will be the same person again and I cannot see how anyone will ever want to be with me sexually again.

I am due to return home soon however only for one week before leaving to travel Asia for a year. I am now questioning whether I should actually go or not as I don’t feel I will aenjoy it the way I would have done before. The trip is going to be party central and I am worried about further outbreaks especially with the alcohol consumption and also how to deal with encounters with men which right now terrifies me! I also don’t want to ruin this trip for my best friend!

I am in so much pain and I feel so down and alone and I don’t have anyone else to speak to about this.