• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Anal HSV1, newly diagnosed

Hello! I was diagnosed with herpes about a month ago - isolated HSV 1 around my anus. Physically my first OB was pretty rough (felt like pooping glass!), thankfully my partner and the few people I told were super supportive. My doctor put me on Valtrex 3g/day for 10 days and I quickly started feeling much better.

However, I’m still having a few issues and wondering if it’s typical/other people have had similar experiences? During/after my OB I had mild constipation, which has resolved, but I’m still having a little discomfort with bowel movements, and they’re not quite back to completely regular. I’ve also noticed that the area around my anus is kind of puffy/inflamed - but not red, like herpes - and has started to feel itchy. This past weekend I had symptoms that were similar to my first OB, like chills and pins and needles sensations.

I’m nowhere near the level of discomfort as my initial OB and I don’t appear to have visible herpes sores. This has been a huge learning process so I’m trying to figure out what’s normal and what isn’t. I wasn’t able to get another appointment with my doctor for two weeks, but she provided me with Valtrex refills and I’m wondering if I should just start taking it again? I have intense anxiety and am a hypochondriac, so it’s really tough not to freak out with every new sensation or symptom. Thank you guys in advance for your help :)