• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Confusing results. IGG vs IGM. Help??

I need some help figuring out my test results. I've had about 4 outbreaks of sores in my genital area over the past 2 years. I got a blood test done at the beginning of this month (both an igg and igm) and the results were...

HSV, IgM I/II Combo = 1.02 (which falls into the equivocal category)

HSV 1 IGG = 32.70 (positive)

HSV 2 IGG = 12.40 (positive)

Everything I have read says that the Igm just shows if its a new infection but the Igg is what really shows if you have the virus. I went to my apppointment to discuss the results and I told my doctor that I had seen the results online and knew I had both types. She then says "Well the igg just shows you have antibodies. The igm was equivocal which means the virus wasn't active when you tested. You may not have it." Now I have to go back in a month for another blood test. I'm just really confused now because my doctor was basically saying something completely different than everything else I have read. I am seeing a different doctor at my next appointment (the first one who said it sounded like herpes and tested me) so maybe she will have a clear answer for me.

On a side note, I started out on the white valacyclovir pills prescribed by the first doctor and then the second doctor gave me the blue valtrex pills. Are they basically the same thing? I was told to take one pill (1g) a day but have seen many people say they only take 500mg a day. Is there a difference in the amount?

Thanks!!