• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Pinpointing time of herpes infection

Hello!

First of all, I want to say I am new to this forum, and I'm so grateful for finding this website. Already I've learned so much, so I thank you in advance!

I'm currently experiencing my first OB (as far as I know! And the Doctor said it looked like an initial OB), and I have a question regarding when I could have been infected.

About 2 years ago I had unprotected sex with my then-boyfriend, and after becoming paranoid from what I thought was a yeast infection (and the Doctor said so, too), he went to get tested and discovered he had HSV-2 (symptom-free).

I got tested about 2 months later and then 7 months later (blood tests), both of which returned negative.

Fast forward to the present, I had unprotected sex with a man I've been seeing (about 2 weeks ago), and on pretty much the next day I felt like I had a UTI and a couple days after that I started feeling extremely fatigued. It is then that I discovered a growing blister on the inside of my labia, and needless to say, 1-2 days later I noticed several more (itched, burned).

I went to the Doctor the next day and she indeed said I was having a herpes outbreak, she took a swab of one of the lesions, and I will find out in about a week and a half if it is either HSV-1 or HSV-2.

My question is = Is it possible that I was infected from 2 years ago and never experienced any blisters until now? Or is it more likely I was infected by this new person (who, as far as he thinks, does not think he has it, though I know he had unprotected sex one other time between testing). Could the blood tests I took have been wrong?

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer feedback. I'm just confused because I've heard different things - that it can lay dormant, and then I've also heard that I wouldn't have the kind of outbreak I'm having after so long of it supposedly being dormant.

I would like to have as much information before I tell this new person about my OB.

Hi Meya :)

First, I'm sorry you're going through this! My initial (and only so far) OB was not fun, so I hope you're feeling better!

I have a similar story to you. My doctor said there is no way to tell for sure, but that based on my symptoms she felt that I was recently infected by a new partner (the one I suspected all along) and not someone from the past.

I first came down with body aches, fatigue, fever and sweats and the next two days very sensitive and swollen lymph nodes in my groin. All classic of an initial outbreak.

I think the fact both your blood tests came back negative is important and you should try to have confidence in them. Do you recall what kind of tests they were?

Hi SunnyDays,

Thanks for writing back.

Yeah, the thing is I don't think I really had those "classic" symptoms of an initial outbreak this time, except I was extremely fatigued for one day.

I actually don't know what kind of tests they were! The first one that I got (at about 7-8 weeks) was a test I got in NYC by one of those STD clinic places where they expressly test for herpes. The second one I got was while I was in Belgium, and when I look at the lab results it just says "Herpes IgM and Herpes IgG - negative" - I'm not sure if that qualifies anything?

Anyway, I guess I have to have the talk with the "new" person, and I'm a bit terrified. I don't know how to basically tell someone they may have given me herpes. I know there's a lot of literature on how to tell someone you have herpes, but - yes. It will be tough. I also am waiting on my final results (on whether it's HSV-1 or HSV-2) to tell him so that I feel like I have more information to give him. (Or should I tell him now? The earlier the better?) I'll find out in about a week.