• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV 1 no symptoms/ transmission rates

Hi so I was diagnosed with hsv 1 since my igg came back positive. Not put on medicine and never had an outbreak, not really sure how/ when I got it either. I’m just so confused on the transmission rates i’ll see percentages but it is usually for genital herpes. I’m also taking lysine vitamin c just to make sure I don’t get one. I have a boyfriend that knows I have this but i’m afraid to give him oral since we have unprotected sex. Does viral shedding occur daily, monthly, yearly? How can I make the transmission rate as low as possible? 

• 2 weeks later...

Over 50% of the population has HSV-1 and most people do not have symptoms. If you have never had symptoms, I don't think you should allow this to significantly impact your life. Thinking about it too much can drive you crazy. There is a risk of transmission, but it is quite low. So much of the population has HSV-1 and does not know about it, chances are, your boyfriend has been with others who are also asymptomatic carriers (and he may even be one himself - you don't indicate if he has been tested or if he has ever had cold sores). 

My husband tested positive for HSV-1 and has never had cold sores or genital symptoms. He was tested at the beginning of our relationship because I have HSV-2, and that is the only reason he knows about his status at all.

There is a risk of viral shedding even if you don't have symptoms, but oral HSV-1 is most contagious when you have an actual cold sore or symptoms (tingling, itching, burning). 

Also, the IgG test for HSV-1 is not as sensitive as the IgG test for HSV-2. So, while a positive result is very reliable, the test misses HSV-1 infections up to 30% of the time. This means that if your boyfriend was also tested and was negative, it is not a guarantee that he does not have the virus. I don't think it is necessary, but if it is a major concern for you, he could get the Western Blot, which is the most sensitive test for HSV-1, but it is expensive and only performed at the University of Washington, so getting tested takes a little more work (you can have a blood sample shipped there).