• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Was I exposed to oral herpes?

Hello, today I saw my dad for Father’s Day. After greeting him and him kissing me on the cheek I noticed he had a scabbed up cold sore. I immediately went upstairs and washed my face off with cetaphil and then again with  hand soap a little while after. I suffer from health related OCD. I am wondering what my chances are of contracting oral herpes from this experience. To my knowledge I don’t have herpes and have been tested in the past. I am a 30 year old male. Thanks for listening! 

• Like 1

Hello Friend,

I hope you are well. 

I completely understand your OCD, and I am so sorry that you struggle with that. I have had OCD for years (I am now 23) and it is just exhausting. The thoughts and compulsions and washing can be so so draining and get in the way of being happy. However, please know that the obsession and compulsions are your brain's way of trying to self-soothe. Tell yourself that you appreciate the part of yourself that is trying to take care of yourself, but you have healthier and better way to do so. ❤️ It will get better, I promise. 

In regards to you having gotten H from your dad from a single kiss on the cheek, it's not as likely as if he had kissed you on the lips, since the lips have mucous membranes while cheek skin does not. The sore was in the later healing stage of scabbing as well, so he most likely was not shedding the virus too too heavily (if at all, since everyone sheds differently and different rates at different times!). Take it easy and just breathe. If you did contract it, you may have a sore pop up within the next few days or week. Worst case scenario, you have a common common human condition and you are still a healthy, clean, pure, beautiful human being. Nothing can change that (no matter what your OCD says!)

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you need someone to talk to about OCD. I am here for you and so is this community! 🙂 

Sending blessings and prayers your way! 

grace