• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I believe I had a primary genital OB and worried I've passed it to my child.

Hello, 

I'm new here. I've recently had what I believe is my first genital OB. Four days after a couple days after protected sex I began to have some blistering.

The next day I had my daughter for the day and gave her a couple hello kisses on the mouth and cheek. I have not had an oral outbreak and it has been 18 days. But I'm very concerned because from what reading I have done oral HSV2 can shed a lot during a primary genital outbreak if there is also an oral infection that is asymptomatic.

Sorry for the long post. My life would just be over if I gave this to her. Just looking for advice/discussion or anything really. Thanks

I am not diagnosed, but had a pretty clear but mild outbreak on the base of my shaft and it went away before I could see a doctor for a swab. I'm just worried that I may have exposed myself to hsv2 orally during the same encounter am wondering if the shedding risk is higher during a primary genital outbreak. I know there are a lot of question marks. I guess I need to wait some time for a blood test with no outbreak.

Well HSV2 likes to stay in the genital region so having it orally is kinda rare but possible.  Since you were unable to get the outbreak swabbed, I would wait 12 weeks after the sexual encounter to get a blood test.  Are you having any type of symptoms in or around your mouth?  If not, then transmitting the virus ( if you have it orally) is a small chance. 

I am not sure if the shedding risk is higher during the primary outbreak.   I do know that the primary outbreak normally lasts awhile since your immune system and your body is trying to figure out what is going on.  My first outbreak lasted about 6 weeks with 2 rounds of Valtrex.  I would maybe go talk to a doctor and see what they suggest.  Sometimes the positive result will come back on a blood test before the 12 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t want to add to the fear but speak from experience. My first couple OBs were genital and through foreplay it was spread to my chin. So I would say be cautious however if no OB there the chances for you are probably no. I had the OB pretty quick after contact on my chin. 
I can relate to the fear of spreading to kids. There has been some great support here but I will always live to protect them. Im very cautious in everything I do.