• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Unclear diagnosis

So about 5 weeks ago I came down with symptoms consistent with a primary outbreak...fatigue and high fever followed by what I thought was a UTI and then about a zillion bumps. I went to a walk in clinic and tested positive for a UTI. I was given 6 Bactrim @ 300mg and had taken 3 of them when I went to the doctor for the other symptoms. She did a PCR test and gave me valtrex. The PCR came back negative for both 1 and 2. So did all of my other STD tests. So I'm wondering...even tho from what I read the PCR test is highly accurate, is a false negative possible? Also, since I had completed my course of bactrim before the STD tests, could it have cleared up something like syphilis and maybe that's where the symptoms came from? I really need some answers for my own peace of mind, and also to deal with my boyfriend (which is a different discussion for a different day). What do I do besides wait to either have a recurrence or wait till a blood test would be accurate? I am literally about to lose my s#%t.

The doc did a PCR? That's very uncommon to do on sores and the FDA does not approve it for that purpose. In fact, the only time the CDC/FDA recommend using PCR for herpes is when it involves a possible case of enchepalitis; in which case the sample is taken from the spinal fluid. The doctor should have done a simple swab/viral culture test. If the doctor took a blood sample and performed a PCR based on that and you recently acquired HSV1 or HSV2, then yes, the results could be innacurate.

While PCR tests are highly accurate after a window period has elapsed, I'd be skeptical of the result for the simple fact that it's not an approved test based on your symptoms and the time the test was performed. Since your blisters/sores have no doubt healed by now, I would wait another 6-8 weeks before having a blood test done to confirm.

Now, take a breath. I'm not saying you do/don't have herpes. There are a number of other infections it could be, and that's one of the problems with diagnosing herpes based on sight; many viruses and infections all mimic herpes symptoms, so, it's possible it's a UTI, etc. That's why I recommend you get a confirmatory blood test to be sure.

Sulfa drugs like Bactrim are effective at clearing up a number of STI's. Could that have cleared things up before you took your tests? Maybe. To be sure, get a full panel test done. It's your health, don't take a chance. Herpes won't do any permanent damage to your body; however, things like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and HPV can.

Now, one option you might consider is to have your boyfriend go and get a full panel STD test done now. If you have been monogomous with your boyfriend, then at this point that will give you a little more peace of mind based on his results.

When I got my results back, the said "hsv 1 and hsv 2 by PCR" and both were negative, tho if the infection was recent it would be negative. And I had blood tests for all those other STDs about a week after the PCR test and all were negative. B

As far as the bf goes, thus far he has not been to the Dr., and I'm pretty sure it's bc he knew he had it (or something). My symptoms appeared at about the same time I found out he cheated on me, which had supposedly occurred "once" about a month before my symptoms. I kinda suspect that the reason the cheating came to light is bc the girl in question has "something" and one of them infected the other & she got sick at the same time as me.

Oh, and I'm 43, have been divorced for a year and have never had so much as a cold sore, so besides being in a panic I'm so angry.

It would make sense timeline wise that you have Herpes. Generally outbreaks occur within a week or two after initially coming in contact with it. There are those cases where people are carries for years and years and never know but that's sorta rare. If he got it then it takes about a week or two to show up on his body, then another week or two for you then it makes sense that it would be Herpes. I had a UTI as well around the same time as my diagnosis which is pretty common, as are yeast infections. That whole area like to act up at once apparently. Until you have a physical outbreak or a positive blood test there really isn't a way to know. I would wait another 12 weeks then get a blood test unless you have a physical outbreak.

As far as being angry, it's normal. You have every right to be upset. There was infidelity AND your health that was affected. However, staying angry isn't going to be very productive. Plus Herpes flare up are easily triggered by stress. You're probably scared too, which is also very, very normal. Just know that as time passes you will see that Herpes isn't anything more than an annoying skin condition.

I keep trying to tell myself that, but it's really difficult right now. And the waiting and seeing is just killing me. The fact that he seems to be in denial makes it even worse. But I appreciate all the insight people provide on here. And it's saving me countless hours of panic from what I find when I google stuff. Eek.